• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

vignette question

Started by Barb, March 08, 2015, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi,
I have a question as to how to handle the vignette.  I know we are supposed to keep them if the photo originally has one but I'm not sure how to do this.  The first photo is after it was corrected for white balance.  So much more damage popped out that I originally did not see. I've been working on getting rid of the magenta spots. Then I started to remove the blue on the man's shirt and realized it was part of the vignette.  My question is what color should it be?  I've not seen a blue vignette like this but then again I'm new to this.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I've still got a long way to go on this photo, I just wanted to post this question ahead of time.  Any other advice would be appreciated as well including if you think I'm going wrong so far.
Thanks,
Barb

dle

Hi Barb,

I'd bet that the rectangular "vignette" is actually damage. It probably came about as a result of the photo having been in a stack with other photos that then got and stayed wet for a while. Either that or it's a result of how the photo was mounted at the time it was damaged. There is, I think, vignetting in the original but it's much more subtle.

Hope that helps!
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

Mhayes

Hi Barb,

Dave is right about what you are seeing and that it is damage where either another photo was on top or else part of the frame. It is not a "vignette" and should not be treated as one. Instead repair it so that the background in the center is continuous.  You second WIP is starting to look good.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Barb

Thanks Dave & Margie - that helps quit a bit!