• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glenna's Newest Toughie

Started by glennab, January 08, 2007, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi!

Here's the latest  I'm getting the clean-up under control, but obviously there's lots left to do.  As usual any suggestions or answers to my questions in the last post would be welcomed.  Seeing what's left to do might help with some of those answers.  As always, thanks!

G'night!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ziaphra

This is where I would now use the smudge brush to smooth out the entire pic and the burn tool to add some shadows and define the clothing etc. Do you mind if I quickly work on the pic above to show what can be accomplished?

glennab

Hi Ziaphra

I'd be delighted!  Your input would mean a lot to me.  Thanks so much!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ziaphra

Hi Glenna

This was done purely with my method stated in my thread. I haven't touched the background but once the whole image is smoothed over and you are satisfied with it, add your noise and then add the texture back if you so wish. ;) I hope this helps...oh, and I think this is how the little girl's hair is on scrutinising the original you posted.

Ausimax

Nice job Ziaphra, I wonder about the white spot on the girl's arm, I tend to think it is damage, seems to be a strange place for a button, were I doing it I think I would zap it.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Max

Interestingly enough, I thought the same thing when I did the portrait of the little girl by herself.  So I cloned out the white spot.  One reason I'm considering re-doing the girl, besides the fact that she's much younger than she looked in the first one is that it really IS a button.

Ziaphra,

You did a beautiful job. I'm amazed that you whipped this out in an afternoon.  The shading and blending is superb.  And I think I'll do the girl's hair in a similar manner to what you did, except my perception is that it might be shorter than in your version.

My main concern is mom.  To me her face in your rendering is very different from what I see in the original.  Please don't take offense at that.  You may have a way of seeing details that I haven't figured out yet.  Can you describe how you discerned the shape of mom's nose and especially how you got the beautiful shading and softness.  I'm figuring that my final will end up being considerably less "polished" than yours, and given the nature of the original, I don't know whether that's true to our mandate or not.  Whatever I end up doing to finish the job, I genuinely appreciate your taking the time to help me along.

If you only did a few restorations before OPR, then you must be an artist by trade or a natural.  Either way, I'm in awe of your abilities (and I have to admit a little envious of your talent!).

My very best to you, and thanks again.

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ziaphra

Thanx Glenna and it is only a pleasure to be able to help...and that is a button. ;) ...and you are probably right about the girls hair being a little shorter. :)

With regards the mother, what is making her look different to you is her hairline...ok admittedly I made her smile too! :D Seriously though, look at the hairline on the left and compare the two...being a pretty woman that seems to take pride in her appearance, I don't think she has a receding hairline...to me that is damage where the water has made the colours shift.

Her nose is a little guesswork as there really isn't much left there. The shading comes from desaturating it (this will soften the colours immediately) and then smudging and blending with the smudge brush at about 48% - 58% opacity following original contours and shadowing.

glennab

Hi Ziaphra

I took a look at your tutorial video, but I couldn't really tell what you were doing, as you're using different software from mine (I have Photoshop CS2).  I couldn't read the information beneath the work area, which I assume described the process.  I'm still fascinated by the way you get such smooth yet realistic restorations, so if you are  able to do a tutorial during which you explain the tools, etc., please let me know.  You mention a smudge brush.  Do you use that often?  We have a smudge tool, but I'm not convinced it works the same way your brush does.

Anyway, I'll continue to work my way through the restoration as best I can.  It will definitely be easier because of your feedback.  Thanks again. 

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

OPRAng

I love reading all of the collaboration on this forum. You guys are the best!

Regarding hairlines and smiles...We want to restore or clean up the photos not fix them. Maybe this lady never smiled a day in her life, it would look weird to see her randomly smile after we were done with her. The hairline might seem odd to us not knowing her, but maybe she wore a wig. We don't know, but the families we are helping will. Stick to what you have and do the best you can with it. We aren't here to make the prettiest picture, just to try to fix the one they've got...

I know this is a frequent drum beat, but one worth repeating. If you even have a question, please just let us know...

Thanks again for working on the photos, helping these families and each other!

Take care,
Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Ang!

I appreciate your comments, because I've been torn about keeping the restoration true to what I can actually see.  You've reinforced my feelings about how to complete this one.

I concur with your observation about collaboration among the troops.  There couldn't be a better group of people sharing tips and techniques to get the job done  I love the fact that no one is a "prima donna."  And we have some amazing talent in OPR. Everyone jumps in and offers their observations and solutions.  I can't begin to explain how much I've learned since joining this organization and how many of the volunteers I consider compadres and friends.

Thank YOU for keeping the operation working and on track.  Admin rocks!

Best wishes

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

I like Ziaphra's rendition of the smile, but as Ang said, keeping it as close to the original is best.  Perhaps it's one of those "Mona Lisa" smiles.  We'll never know what the smile is about!

Christine

Kenny

I personally NEVER smile for a picture, unless someone catches me off guard.  ;D

But why is the rum gone?

Ziaphra

Angela, you are absolutely right...I just assumed it was water damage. ;)

glennab

Hi!

I wanted to let you all know that I've turned this restoration and the one of the daughter alone back to Mike for redistribution.  My bronchitis is so bad that I can get to work and back -- and participate in some of the forum discussions -- and that's about it.  If any of you is interested, look for them in Mike's gallery.

I'll try to keep up with the forums and practice, read my books and learn to use my Wacom when I'm up to it.

I despise being a quitter, but my job has to come first, and that's about all I have the energy for at this point.

I'll definitely jump in on the next batch!

Best to all of you,

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)