• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I need help with water damage ...

Started by HPDesigns, May 14, 2014, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPDesigns

This is how far I have gotten to ... I'm not sure how to bring back the details to the man's face? ... this is my first time posting and when I click on add image all I get is this: ... so I need operator error help and then actual help with the photograph. Thanks! Holly

Thanks for the upload help! Here's the original:

Here's what I had and then the final I have right now:
- Holly

Mhayes

Great to see you on the Forum and to answer you question on how to post the original photo and your work in progress is to go to the Forum Home and look under the Welcome Newcomer Section and it has a topic on how to post photos: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

I would suggest Photobucket as it is the easiest. Let us know if you have any problems.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

HPDesigns

I am trying to make the man's face better ... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Holly
- Holly

lurch

The final still has an overall blue cast.
<C>

HPDesigns

Too blue you think? It looks nice on the suit, but maybe not all over?
- Holly

Mhayes

Holly, yes it is too blue. Take a look at a comparison with your latest wip and the original with a basic color correction that can be further improved.

This is an old photo of 41 years old so I'm sure the colors have suffered a little and also faded and then finished off with water damage. I think the curtains color is what you see in the center. Also, you need to rework the curtains so that you can't see where you have been On your left the lines are good and only need a little repair except for replacing the green color with the true color. On the left you have a lot more work, but that is where copying and layer masks will help you out.

As to water damage on the groom's face it looks like your red channel is the best. You could use the red channel and then colorize, but unless you've done this before you might want some practice first. Katrin Eismann's book: Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. In that book will cover that and a lot more and you have the bonus of being able to go online and work the same photos for exercises as is in her book.

Nice start.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

HPDesigns

Thank you for the tips. I will definitely check out the book recommended. I really enjoy restoring photographs, I just do not have as much experience with the water damage as with some of the other images. Do you think I should release this image back for someone else to finish, as I have had it out longer than intended? I would be happy to upload my photoshop file if that would be helpful ... otherwise I will try and finish it up this week.

Thanks!
Holly
- Holly

Mhayes

Holly,

Keep it for the weekend and if you get too bogged down, let your distributor know you would like to turn it back in. Otherwise, hope you and everyone else has a great Memorial Day weekend.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]