• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Two Kids on a Bench (Sandros004)

Started by zapphnath, December 23, 2006, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapphnath

Well, here it is: my latest (and second) OPR project.
This huge 8X10 photo is really giving my old PC a workout, but it seems to be handling it, so far.
Up close, this one is covered with tons of tiny scratches, going in every direction.  What fun, they are, huh?  I've managed to get rid of most of them, but I still have quite a bit to do before I can call this one finished.  His left eye isn't quite right, yet, and I'm still deciding whether that fold in his shorts might really be a continuation of the damage on his shoulder. 
I have absolutely no clue as to what's going on on the left side.  It could be a planter, it could be more rabbits, it could be - nothing at all.  I may just end up smoothing out and "vignette"ing that area, as well.  The important parts are all there.
Any suggestions?

pcraft

Hi zapphnath, to start with, I feel you've done a wonderful job to this point..
What you speak of to be his shorts. Looks to me to be a jacket or sweater laid across his lap and that shadow could actually be in the original.  Lets see what some of the other folks think. The left side seems to be a bush of sorts in bloom..
Not a lot more is visible in any of the channels. Things might be clearer in the higher resolution file on your system..
Nice job so far..
Robert

Ausimax

Hi zapphnath,

Nice job you are doing there, I vote for it being shorts, they are both wearing summer clothes, so it is unlikely to be a jacket, it is hard to see at this resolution, but it could be a real fold, there are many others in the shorts, and at the time I would think this photo was taken, boys shorts were baggy with long legs.
As for the left side of the photo, rather than try and reconstruct something that may or may not be there, I would be inclined to blend it to suit the other side, it will give the photo an ethereal quality, focusing attention on the children where it belongs.

These are my thoughts on the photo, hope it may be of help to you, keep up the good work.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

I would say that dark part of his shorts is damage. If you look, it follows the line of damage that runs from top to bottom.  The restoration looks wonderful!

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Z

I'm coming in on this a little late.  Four days of the flu have kept me flat on my back and off the computer.  But I wanted to concur with the rest of the crew that you're doing a wonderful job on the restoration.  I think the little guy IS wearing shorts, judging by the way they fit around his legs.  And I also think the dark area on the shorts is damage.  It's virtually impossible to tell what's on the left, but I think the way you've pulled some of the flowers out and left the rest indistinct makes a lovely "frame" for the kids.  Can't wait to see the finished piece. Kudos for a fine job!

Happy new year!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

zapphnath

Thanks, guys.

UGH! - Holidays!

Today was the first time I've been able to start Photoshop in almost a week.  I don't have a new image to post, yet, but I did manage to get some more work done.  I got rid of the blotch on his shorts and most of the rest of the "stuff" on the left and finished up his eye.  I'll need another day, or two, to get it done and post an update.

(Me - after a few hours of staring at the screen) =>  :D

----------------------------------

Update:  Here is the finished version, barring any further suggestions.

glennab

Hi again Z

One word –  bee-u-ti-ful!!!

A small thing.  The boy's arm by the wrist is lighter than the rest, where there was damage.  I'd suggest blending that in with the rest of his arm.  For some reason that jumps out at me.  Otherwise it's awesome!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

WOW!  You did a beautiful job on this.  The family will be thrilled.

Christine

Ratz

Beautiful job!! Has a real ethereal feel about it....Just love it!!!

kjohnson

wow, and how did you do all that?  Adobe magic scratch removal filter? Or am I getting that mixed up with the scratch disk.

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ausimax

A really great job, it looks like a million dollars. :up:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Quote from: Ausimax on December 29, 2006, 07:56:18 PM
A really great job, it looks like a million dollars. :up:

Max

Is that dollars US or Canadian? :P

Kidding...

It's a wonderful restoration, nicely done!

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

kjohnson

I'm hoping Zap reveals some of the techniques used to put the photo back together - like new again.

zapphnath

Thank you all, so very much, for the comments.  I'm flattered. ;)

As far as "How?", there's no big secret, really.  I'm partial to the Patch Tool, as opposed to the Clone Stamp (which always seemed a little too "hit-or-miss" to be of much use - to me, anyhow).  For something like this, it's just a matter of zooming in really close and Patching out one little scratch at a time.  This one had tons of little scratches, which is why I've had it for almost two weeks, now.
(I did actually use the Clone Stamp, for the first time in over a year, to recreate some of the painted flowers on the backdrop, in the final Final version - the one ready for submission.  Thanks to Glenna for pointing out the bright spot in his hand, which has been addressed, now.).
I sampled the color of the boy's shorts and painted, on a new layer, the shape of his shorts and the blue parts of her dress, and set it to Color and lowered the Opacity to make those areas a little more even and brightly colored.  I added a few adjustment layers (Levels and Curves) to bring out the color, overall, and boost the contrast.  I'm going to submit both versions (with and without my adjustment layers) so that Becky can choose which one, if either, to use.  I know they want to make all of the final adjustments.
And.. that's about it.  I put on one of Leo LaPorte's tech podcasts, to listen to while I'm "working", and just have at it - one scratch at a time.  :D