• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding Certificate 1947

Started by Candice, February 09, 2014, 12:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Blotches, dots, oddest paper ever... and this is where she stands   :D

Candice

MikeG

My method for this type of restore is to select all of the writing based color and contrast and place on separate layers and adjusting each as necessary. Then using a good color sample of the paper create a new background for the paper adding a slight amount of texture if needed. Then the layers containing the writing go on top of the new background layer. This is much easier than trying to un-blotch the paper.

Mhayes

I think Mike's tip would be a big help on this one. It would allow you to separate the writing from the paper--which I came out with more of a cream color. Also, by working on the background separate you will be able to get the texture even without the damage. Good start.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Thank you for your thoughts. It might surprise that I've done what was suggested before reading this.  As for the background it is on a separate layer and can be colorized.  I should always remember to say that when I post, it's not the finished work.

In the example I'm posting, which is at 33% for embellishment of what I see at 100%, you can see the vertical lines as well as squiggly horizontals.  That is the nature of that paper. 

What I did is painstakingly worked with what I had to make the background as close to the original.  If you want me to replace the background all together Margie, I can do that.  Let me know.  I've posted the changes.

Candice

Mhayes

I think the writing is the most important thing, but I didn't didn't mean to imply replacing the background with something new. Instead I meant to find a good swatch of the original background (where the lines are even and little damage) and then go from there. It's been a long time since I've taken a square of texture to make a larger back ground.

When I said the color didn't look right it was because your first sample looked greenish/brown. I didn't realize that was your WIP and not your finished work. The second is better than the first. How did you come to that color correction--curves, level, etc.? It doesn't mean it's wrong. The same thing goes for the ink looking like it is a shade of blue (original), but figured black was good enough and easier to pull off.

Still a big improvement over the first.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on February 10, 2014, 06:09:44 PM
I think the writing is the most important thing, but I didn't didn't mean to imply replacing the background with something new. Instead I meant to find a good swatch of the original background (where the lines are even and little damage) and then go from there. It's been a long time since I've taken a square of texture to make a larger back ground.

When I said the color didn't look right it was because your first sample looked greenish/brown. I didn't realize that was your WIP and not your finished work. The second is better than the first. How did you come to that color correction--curves, level, etc.? It doesn't mean it's wrong. The same thing goes for the ink looking like it is a shade of blue (original), but figured black was good enough and easier to pull off.

Still a big improvement over the first.

Margie

I can make a pattern Margie.  Where the trouble comes into play is with the weird horizontal lines. If you don't mind them being gone, I'm good to go. Please, open up the original and have a look at it.  I've done quite a few document restorations and this is the first time I've come across this background.  Let me know what you'd like.

As for the color correction;  I had already done that on a duplicate of the original and it was the color you see in the second post. I just used a new layer and colored it. And the ink, I figured it was blue too.  I'm still working on the project though and who knows I might come up with blue in the end.  :)
Candice

Mhayes

I see what you mean, although I could get a small swatch where the vertical pattern seemed to be Okay. I found the pattern to look like yours at 33%, but once I got to 100% it straightened out and I could find some good areas. I cut a swatch and then turned it to a B/W. The pattern seems to be only on the signature page's paper and not the rest of the wedding photos.

As to whether it is worth messing with it; I think maybe some more feedback from other would be helpful.

Yes, I agree it is a big improvement over the first.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on February 11, 2014, 01:40:42 AM
I see what you mean, although I could get a small swatch where the vertical pattern seemed to be Okay. I found the pattern to look like yours at 33%, but once I got to 100% it straightened out and I could find some good areas. I cut a swatch and then turned it to a B/W. The pattern seems to be only on the signature page's paper and not the rest of the wedding photos.

As to whether it is worth messing with it; I think maybe some more feedback from other would be helpful.

Yes, I agree it is a big improvement over the first.

Margie

I was able to get a good area for a vertical pattern too.  If you're good with just going with the vertical lines, I'll do that.  It would be a lot easier.  Who knows maybe we're the only ones that really can see the horizontal lines. 

Until I hear otherwise I'll work with the vertical pattern. 

Thanks Margie for looking at the original.
Candice

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I believe I've done all that I can do.  I'm sending the wedding certificate home!

Candice