• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pretty new coat

Started by Bambi, November 09, 2013, 06:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

Original

Work in Progress

Have I missed anything? Suggestions?

Bambi

Mhayes

Bambi, what a great job you did in repairing the damage. This is a hard one to call and what I feel may be right might not be. To me the restored photo is too dark--the child, the paneling behind, and the child's dress. Also, on the floorboard at the bottom on your right there should be a sharp definition between carpet and paneling and there is some damage between the two. The dress you have brought out the detail and it looks good, but there again not sure if it is too dark. I also think the child's face is a little lighter and not as dark as her legs. This is guess work on my part and I may be off on how I think it should look.

Very nice restore and repair!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Hi Bambi,

Nice job on the damage! I think the restore is a bit dark, but an easy fix might be to duplicate the final image, set the blend mode to Screen, and reduce the opacity.

The floor is the original is really a mess; I have a hard time picking out the wood or how the carpet sits on it. If there's not a reference photo it's going to have to be a judgment call.

It's such a cute photo! I'm sure the family will enjoy getting this one back.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Bambi

You're right. It does look dark. I need to give it that beautiful contrast you're so good at. I'll try the Screen technique.

Bambi

Bambi

Better?

Bambi

Mhayes

Bambi, did you use the screen mode or the multiple mode as now she looks darker still? Yes, there is more contrast.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Oops! Here's the one with the Screen layer.

Bambi

Pat

Hi Bambi,

This photo is really a tough one!  I used a temporary threshold adjustment layer to locate the correct black and white points then set them with a Curves adjustment layer.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

seelcraft

Bambi, I'm surprised that you eliminated the flare on the right hand wood panel!
Doug
Chemists have solutions!

Mhayes

Bambi, I like what you have done and using the "screen" mode would let you lighten certain areas. I was thinking that the little girl's face should be a little lighter, especially since the flash would have caused that. Here is what I did and it could be tweaked further.

Pat, where you have the arrow for the white point is really not correct. The flash would have blown the highlights out, but the cabinet is not white. Here is a good article that explains what not to pick for the white point (about halfway down the page) and also good tutorial on the pcking neutral gray. http://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/accurate-white-balance-adjustments-in-photoshop

Doug, yes life is full of surprises, but this doesn't happen to be one for me. What Bambi eliminated was the highlights being blown out most likely from the flash. Yes, the original had it, but this looks a lot better. She did not have the same tonal quality on both sides as the the right is still lighter. It also shows the texture. I'm fine with what she has done.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Guilty as charged. I did purposely tone down the flash glare on the cabinet, her face and clothes.The detail was there, it was just blown out by the flash. I got about the same color correction as Pat did at first, then went on to increase the detail in the bright areas.

Brightened her face (less contrast) and put the glare back, with some detail. The Forum version is a little darker than it looks in Photoshop.

Bambi