• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding Pic

Started by david_gr, November 05, 2013, 12:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

Here is another wedding picture for review.  It looks fairly straightforward.  I'm not sure whether I should do more to the bride's hair  towards the top.  Well, here they are.  Tell me what you think.

Mhayes

Looks good to me David.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Hi David,

I color corrected setting the black, white, and gray points, and got a slightly different result than you.  Also your restore seems to have lost some sharpness and detail found in the original:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

kiska

I've been getting a dark blue for Mom's dress??? I went by photo 20_13 (the moms) as that color needed the least correction in the original.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Pat

I just tried a color correction on the OwensW_20_13 Kiska is referring to and it matches Kiska's.  

I noticed the photo David is working on is from OwenG.  This wedding is also under OwensK.  Do you think maybe the actual wedding was shot with three different cameras and if the camera settings were different that could account for the color differences in the dress?  The file David is working on did not seem to have a great deal of damage.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

david_gr

I would rather not try to change the color of Mom's dress.  If I changed the color of the dress I would mess up the colors of their complexions.  I believe I will turn it in with the colors pretty much the same.  When looking at this again, I noticed the space between their heads had some damage that I need to clear up.
I named this restore 1 to keep the people's name out of this.  I have had a problem with personal information on photos so I playing it safe and taking all personal info out of anything I post.  Pat was right about this being a different Owens.  Maybe she was wearing a different dress or maybe different camera's were used.  The colors in the Cranston photo seem off to me?
Thank you all for your help. 
As an aside, do easy restorations take about a half hour.  Mine usually take me a good bit longer.  That's all right.  I like taking my time and providing the best I can.

David Gr

Mhayes

You each have valid points, but on this particular photo there are reasons why Mom's dress is off from all the others. Yes, it could have been shot with a different camera and the settings different, but the more logical explanation is that it was shot *outside when it was dark. Either the flash or overhead lights would have have changed Mom's dress and caused it to be a different shade. That's okay, leave as it is as that is how it would have looked originally. There are different folders with the last name of Owen and they are all of the same wedding. This is a case where in order to get more photos restored, different family members brought in photos.

David, you did a nice job and I think where Pat's may look a little sharper than yours because your restore still had some minor clipping in highlights. I looked at your restore in a Level's Adjustment and all three channels (RBG) needed the slider on your right brought in.

I do not have a problem on the forum with using the last name and the initials of the photo to help. We no longer have personal information about the photo embedded in personal information. We learned our lesson a long time ago that we could preach about not posting photos with embedded personal information being removed first until we were blue in the face and volunteers ignored the warning. So guess what? We longer do it, even though it was a nice safeguard. What I raised concerns about  is not posting your OPR photos on PhotoBucket and an automatic link to Facebook. This is an updated feature on Facebook that when posted and linked to Facebook showed links to your album and was allowing anyone to download OPR's photos. In that case I didn't like having the family's name on it---although not much to go on.

In the future we may do wedding photos a little different. After I came back from Lindsborg, KS I had a collection of wedding photos and I could tell this was going to be a nightmare for Quality Control when they get restored as the color correction could vary volunteer to volunteer. So we decided that on those they would all be color corrected first by us to keep the color consistent. We will not do this on anything other than weddings in the future. For this particular photo the color is correct for the conditions it was shot under.

*Footnote: I'm not so sure it is outside as I think I see the table behind and of course the church lights at the top, but because it is so dark around them---I still think the flash may have caused the dress's color to be blown out and a different shade.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

David, one way to get a blue dress. New empty layer set to color. Paint with med. blue at med. opacity. Use curves to darken the blue. I did lower the vibrance first.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

david_gr

I have uploaded this picture several times and always found something else I wanted to fix.  Hopefully, this will be the final version.  I fixed the levels as best I could.  I also adjusted the space between the Mom & Bride to clean up some damage and darken it a bit.  I noticed the Bride's hand on Mom's shoulder needed some clean up and adjustment so I did that.  Hopefully, this is my final.

Pat

Pat

Mhayes

Ditto for me  :up2:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

david_gr