• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Chair today ~ Gone tomorrow

Started by Candice, October 23, 2013, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Please take a look at the following.  My thought is that the young man was standing in front of a chair or davenport because of the position of the hands but, I don't want to add more than I should.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,
Candice

Candice

Tori803

To me it looks like he's resting his right hand on the edge of a table or desk. Looks like you'll probably have to hint at an object rather than try to give it much definition.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Candice

Quote from: Tori803 on October 24, 2013, 11:07:59 AM
To me it looks like he's resting his right hand on the edge of a table or desk. Looks like you'll probably have to hint at an object rather than try to give it much definition.

That's a very good suggestion.  Thank you Tori.
Candice

Candice

Candice

Pat

Looking real nice!  

Putting his left forearm and hand in the photo would require an adjustment of the upper arm and elbow which would not be in keeping with the original placement.  I wonder if it would better to keep the lower left arm and hand down by his side and behind the chair.

The sudden narrowing of the cuff area on the right coat sleeve is a bit distracting.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

Thanks Pat.  That's why I posted it for others to see and you're suggestion are welcomed.  I like the idea of putting the one hand down and I see what you're talking about on the sleeve.  I didn't at the time though... LOL   :D

... I'll be back!
Candice

kiska

An option. Maybe crop a little. Looks like he could be sitting on a stool with right hand resting on leg? His coat on his right is a little bunched up. Or his right foot is propped up?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

This is a hard one because of the amount of damage and missing information. I like what Kiska has done, especially getting rid of the dark band in front to look like a desk. Also, the photo is better off without the hands as any addition is going to be hard to look natural. Another option instead of cropping would be to take a view similar to what Kiska is showing and come up from the bottom to above the cuff and use a gradient that goes to transparent. This is similar to a vignette, but is used only to blur out the bottom. It won't work with bar across now, but will work on something like Kiska's.

The cleanup of the man and suit looks great, but be careful in removing all the shadows on the face as it changes the looks.  Compare the last and see the shadows on the chin and around the eyes as they give more depth to his features.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I worked on this a good bit yesterday and this where  it stands as of now.  I've worked to keep as much texture as I could without removing all the shadowing of the jacket. That took several layers and two screens.  I can go any direction you'd like so let me know what direction you'd like taken. 

Candice

Mhayes

Looking better, especially on the sleeves and the removal of the hand on your right. In the original that arm doesn't show being bent and coming forward as you have. To me it would appear to create more problems because now you have to show a hand. The other problem is the imaginary table and the straight diagonal sharp line across. I maybe jumping the gun since you may still working on it? To me it is very distracting and my eye immediately goes to the bottom trying to figure out what it is. I think it will be viewed as damage. Otherwise, very nice restore.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Margie I am still working on it.  There was so much in the original that removing that was a priority and yes, the table is a help tool.  I've a few more overlays to go but each change brings it closer to going home.  Thank y'all for the input.  It helps a great deal.
Candice

Candice

........  Thoughts?  I also have it in B/W.

Candice

kiska

I think it best to just show the wrist, not the fingers.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Candice

I can do that.
Candice

Candice

Home he goes.

Candice