• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kurt's BABIES! (First OPR Projects)

Started by kstruve, December 05, 2006, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi Kurt,

I think you are well underway with a masterful restoration job, he looks just how I imagine he would look from impressions created by the original.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, about the "mandate", how do you "just clean it up a bit"? on images with so much damage, I always try to produce a photo that could be framed and set on the mantelpiece, they don't always come out that good, but that is what I aim for, is it the same as the original? I doubt it, there is seldom enough detail available to recreate that, but hopefully it is as close as possible.

I too wish there were a way the owners could view and advise, once we had reached a stage where we could use direction as to certain detail, perhaps a separate forum, where we could post semi-restored images with questions as to detail that we need, then when we had posted they could be informed and view the image and add their comment.

I don't think it would work having them, viewing and commenting through this forum, it would be difficult to work freely if you had the impression they were looking over your shoulder all the time. Though it is an open forum to view, they well could be watching.

Anyway back to the main game, I think you have done a great job on this photo, and I am sure the owners will be stunned at what you have achieved.(I am)

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

WOW!

All this discussion is great!  I don't mean to sound like the "mandate police." I'm genuinely curious as to how far we can take these images.  I love asking questions and getting you guys going.  Lots of food for thought, and the difficult restorations require beau coup assessment and judgment.  Those of you with fine art experience seem to be willing to take the restorations a bit further than people like me who are graphics-oriented and/or less experienced.  Everything any of you does or expresses means more to mull over as we do this tough job, and I think in the long run will make us all better restorers.  In other words, "keep those cards and letters coming!"

You're all the best!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

OPRAng

Rather than thinking of these photos as pretty images for the mantle, try thinking of them as a piece of history. "A picture is worth 1000 words". Well, in that case it is a direct quote of the people in them. If we restore as much as we can of their quote without adding our interpretation then we are preserving history. If we add or extrapolate too much then we are changing history and misquoting the people in the photo.

We can't find out what this guy looks like, for all we know he might not be with us anymore. This might be the only photo that survived with him in it. A huge responsibility for us.

There are a lot of photos that are way too damaged for us--lots that we took in that we probably shouldn't have. But it is so hard to turn someone away when you see their eyes tearing before you.

That being said, if you have any questions on where the line is, just ask us. We are happy to help in any way we can. Just let us know.

Thanks for all your work.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Dave

Let's toss the "mandate" aside for a moment and think of this in personal terms.

The man in the picture is the only picture you have of your older brother who died after a long illness or who died in combat in Iraq or because of a drunk driver on New Year's Eve. Now Hurricane Katrina comes along and damages this photo seemingly beyond repair. You can barely make out your brother's features in the image.

All hope is lost and you're about to throw the picture away when suddenly you learn that there is an organization that is offering free restoration services for Katrina damaged photos. You quickly snatch the picture from the trash heap and rush to turn your photo in.

As the volunteer is copying your photo, you tell him what a wonderful person your brother was. You laugh and cry as you tell the volunteer of all the trouble that you and your brother got into as kids You get a little sad when the volunteer tells you that there's not much that can be restored in the photo because of the extensive damage. Your heart lightens when the volunteer tells you that he'll still take the picture and promises to do the best that he can with it. You hug the volunteer as tears stream down your cheeks and thank him graciously for anything that can be done.

Now fast forward several months (mostly because this organization runs so slow), a large envelope marked "photos do not bend" comes in the mail. Your hands start to shake with anticipation and the tears begin to well in your eyes all over again. You take your time opening the package carefully so as not to damage its precious contents.

As the picture slides out, your eyes grow wider. Memories of your long lost brother dance in your head.

Suddenly, the moment is gone and your left with disappointment as you're staring at a picture of a stranger.

Never lose sight of our mission.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

kstruve

Dave,

Your hypothetical story (which, no doubt isn't far from the truth, in many cases) says exactly what needs to be said.  Believe me, the person or people who will receive this photo are never far from my mind, and I know that the "guesses" I have to make will greatly influence how well it's received by its owner.  Your use of the word "stranger" is the kinder, gentler, and far more diplomatic way of saying what I said earlier with my harsh references to cartoons and burn victims.

I saved this young man's head for last, partially to postpone the hardest part for last, but also to make sure I have as much practice as possible under my belt before attempting it.  As I've worked, I've kept a couple of interim stages of restoration intact to fall back to as well as to offer OPR a choice of how far to allow this one to progress.  I'll be (with your permission) uploading two versions of this photo:  One with the man's head taken as far as I can get it, and one with it merely cleaned up and in a reduced state of repair.  The alternative is to post the two versions on this thread and await an executive decision.  My decision to keep pushing forward on his face was also to create some consistency in the image.  Otherwise, you have a photo that's nice and restored all over, except for the glaringly obvious omission of someone's face.

But, I'll leave that final decision up to OPR.  I do expect to finish this very soon.  I'm on the final stretch of the final stretch of the final stretch, as it were.  So stay tuned!

Angela, I agree with you about restoring without making our own interpretations.  My goal is to restore as closely to the undamaged photo as possible, not to make it look amazing or better than it was to begin with.  When it comes to restoring photographs, I check my ego at the door.

Thank you all for contributing to this project and more importantly, to this very pertinent, more generalized discussion.

Kurt

Kenny

Kurt, it looks wonderful.

If you look at the original, you get an idea of what his face looks like. I think you've stayed true to that. What you've done is reinforced facial features and bone structure that stays close to the original. Going too much further, you will have to be careful not to put too much artistic license into the restoration.

I'm sure the owners are going to be in awe like it is currently.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi!

My opinion (and you've all guessed by now that I have more than enough to share!) is that this has been one of the best discussions on the forum so far.  I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness in everyone's assessment of how to faithfully render the restorations.  And I'd like to rescind my use of the word mandate, because it must seem too harsh -- as if it were a command.  I consider the "mandate" to be our guidelines for being true to the people whose photos we're restoring.  And I believe that every volunteer is doing their utmost to accomplish just that.

I'll probably say this a hundred or so more times, but I think you're all wonderful and OPR is helping to make the world a better place!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Well folks.  I believe I have this one finished!  I've spent entirely too much time on this one, I know.  But I think I can't do any more to this one without pushing it too far.  Here are the two versions I'm going to upload tomorrow: a version with the man's head fully restored and one with it only partially restored.  As a reminder, I'm offering the partially restored version because the man's head was so badly damaged and so I had to do a lot of guesswork on it.  The partially restored version is a little less definite in detail in case the details I added in the fully restored version seem incorrect to the owners of the photo.

So here is the original:

The fully restored version:

And the partially restored version:

What do you guys think?

Again I want to thank everyone who took the time to offer up comments, suggestions and words of encouragment during this restoration project.  Thanks!

Kurt

glennab

Hi Kurt

You've done one of the most beautiful restorations I've seen on the forum, especially given the severity of the damage.  I suspect that the owners of this photo won't think you've taken too much time when they see the difference between the original and your masterpiece.

The discussion among the volunteers during the course of your project has been both enlightening and heartening. Kudos for your grace in dealing with the heaps of critique you've gotten as you've worked your way through this.

All I can say is GREAT JOB, and I'm so glad you're part of OPR!

My best to you as always,

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

marylou

I haven't commented on your work up until now, but I have been following along. That was a very difficult photo to restore and you have interpreted the man's face very well imo. A+, great work, I think this family will be very happy to recieve their photo. Thanks for sharing your methods while you were working on this photo too. My compliments to you. :up:

kstruve

Thank you very much Kenny, Glenna, Max and Mary!  And thanks to everyone else who contributed to this project.  I appreciate it.

Kurt

Ratz

Congratulations once again Kurt, on your outstanding restoration! GREAT JOB :up:

Kind regards, Vicki.

kstruve

Thanks Vicki!  You're always very supportive.

Kurt