• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Can I get a little help?

Started by TimeTraveler, November 26, 2006, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimeTraveler

The main concern right now is the right side of the swing.  Since the chain on the right is out of frame, it makes sense to me that the swing couldn't stop in frame.  It would be hanging there without a chain.  Since that's not possible, I extended the swing, but that doesn't look quite right either.  I know there are a number of smaller things I need to fix, but the swing is my main focus right now.

Also, the baby's left arm was reconstructed using his leg.  Since I used a body part from the baby, and not someone else, I figured it was okay.  Let me know if it's not. 

Like I said, there's a lot more work to do, but if anybody can give me some feedback on the swing, it would help a lot.

Thanks

Ausimax

Hi,

It is hard to tell from a small low-res image, it looks to me like he has a stuffed toy bear or tiger in the swing with him, though it could be damage.

That aside he is sitting off centre in the swing, judging by the position of his left hand in relation to the safety strap, if you look further to his left you can see what looks like the bend in the safety rail of the swing frame, so I would think the swing seat would end with a rounded corner just left of his leg, almost at the edge of the image.

If you just replaced the curve of the rail I doubt you would need to do anything else with the swing, it is all at the edge of or out of image.

Thats how I read it, hope it is helpful to you, you are doing a nice job so far.

Regards,

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

kstruve

TimeTraveler,

You've done a great job color-balancing this image!

The way I read this image, it looks like the "damage" to the baby's left isn't damage at all, but some kind of fabric (the top edge of which is shown in blue) that is wrapped over the crossbar and hangs down to the seat.  It could be someone's coat or a blanket for all we know.  It is actually there as evidenced by the shadow of the baby's leg falling on it (shown in magenta).  Plus, the shading on it is consistent with the direction of the sun.  In your restored photo, his left arm looks like it's really hiked up.  I think it is positioned more naturally and is mostly concealed by the fabric, and his bib would continue up and over his shoulder (shown in green).

You are doing a nice job with it!

Kurt

glennab

Hi Kurt

It's great to have another set of eagle eyes to help with these difficult restorations.  I couldn't see the details enough to even comment and try to help TT with this one.  I don't know if you're new to OPR or just new to the forum, but either way, welcome.  I look forward to more of your expert feedback.  I'll be posting my on-going challenge before too long, and hope you'll jump in with comments!

Best wishes,

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Thanks for the "eagle eyes" comment, and for welcoming me to OPR, glennab.  I am new to OPR and this forum and I'm looking forward to working with all of you in restoring these photos for people.

Kurt