• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

new to this site

Started by lillee, April 28, 2013, 01:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tori803

Welcome Jose! I'm sure you'll enjoy helping out here. Be sure to post your work-in-progress and share any tips on solutions you find to some of our unique restoration challenges. Feel free to ask others for suggestions on alternate approaches too! By sharing we all learn a lot!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

eoschlotz

Greetings from a new OPR member. I think this is a great thing we are doing and I hope to be able to come up to the level of the work I have seen here already. I'm in Colorado. We've just had our own flooding!

Pat

Welcome eoschlotz from Michigan!  We have been watching the horrific flooding in Colorado and hope you were well away from all the devastation.

I think you will find restoring photos for families who have lost so much in natural disasters to be very rewarding and I hope you will enjoy growing your skills by participating in the forum.  If we get an opportunity to conduct a copy run for Colorado, perhaps you will be able to attend; I'm sure it would be an experience you will long treasure.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

eoschlotz

Thank you, Pat. I was within a mile or 2 of the worst flooding. But floods here are a lot more localized than a hurricane! Keep me in mind if you do come to do a copy run.

Mike S.

Another Warm Welcome from Michigan eoschlotz!

Your skills will be a big help.  Thank you for joining.

Pat and I are packing our copy stands and leaving for the Moore, OK copy run this morning.
As Pat said we hope to be on the Colorado Copy Run and hope to see you there.  Until you have experienced one it is hard to imagine how grateful people are.  It really brings home what we are doing and the effect it has.

Mike
Mike S.

PhotoartbyAU

Hello, my name is Anastasia, I'm from Ukraine! Glad to help people in the restoration of their photos!

Tori803

Welcome Anastasia, from Minnesota!
Tori

Mike S.

Welcome from Michigan Anastasia,

I am glad to see you on the Forum.  This is the place to get and to give advice on photo restores and sometimes to have a little fun.

Mike
Mike S.

Pat

Another welcome from Michigan!

Anastasia we are so glad to have you join us.  We hope you will enjoy restoring photos with us and hope to see more of you on the forum.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

eoschlotz

Mike S., Thanks. Keep me in mind if you come to Colorado for a copy run. If I can work the schedule, I would try to help with whatever I can.

Mhayes

Eoschlotz, one thing that you could do now is to get the word out about how to save flood damaged photos. Here is a link to the PDF on the care: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/2013/05/restoring-photos-from-the-moore-oklahoma-tornado/ If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me at: [email protected]

We would like to do a run to Colorado, but it will have to be next year and we need to see there are enough people that will show up for it.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

eoschlotz

Margie, this may be getting off topic for this thread, but I feel the need for clarification. Getting the word out is a great idea (but getting kind of late), but how do you advise me to do it? A newspaper article would seem appropriate. How else? I may be able to get some access to the city web site, but that is only for my small area. I know where the local FEMA disaster recovery center is in town and I could try to contact them.

But as a new member, a bigger issue is that I don't feel that I can to speak for OPR or promise a future recovery opportunity. What do you suggest?

Tori803

Hi Ed,

I believe Margie means that you should tell everyone you know personally, by email, Facebook or Twitter post, not to throw away damaged photos and send them the info on saving them. From what I see on the news, Colorado is still cleaning up. There's still potential for people to be getting back and starting the cleanup process and thus finding damaged photos. And even for people who weren't affected it's good information to have in case of future disaster.

OPR already has FEMA contacts and Margie will take care of any news releases. But as an OPR member you can restore photos and also let people know what they can do with their photos if they ever face such circumstances themselves.

Tori
Tori

Mhayes

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the confusion and Tori is right on what I meant. I do not intend for you to do media exposure for your area as that is something the inner team does. Plus, we are in the process of trying to network with other disaster organizations to help. What I meant that is within your own neighborhood or circle of friends you may know someone that would find the instructions on how to care for photos helpful. No, it is not too late as people may have photos that the instructions will help. For example, a person might have photos that are stuck together and figure they can't be saved since they can't be separated and they would be wrong.

I found your email address off of the new volunteer registration and have sent you the the PDF. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

xelanil

Hi I'm Alex from California, I usually use photoshop to prank my friends but I figured I could also use these skills for some more charitable work.