• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

GordonD_27_04_8x10 Review

Started by dle, April 07, 2013, 08:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dle

I've been poking at this image for some time now.

As you can see from where the watercolor got washed off, it's a colorized B&W portrait. So, I decided to restore it to B&W and then recolorize it using the original hue and saturation sampled from undamaged areas. The result, so far looks like this:

I worry that I'm starting to stray away from restoration and into painting, which is fun but not the object of this exercise. Suggestions?

David
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

Hannie

David, your WIP does not show, I tried to fix the link but it looks like you need to adjust it yourself.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

dle

Thanks, Hannie for pointing this out. I have no idea why that should be. It shows up in my browser just fine, but clearly something's wrong. I went to photobucket and got the bbcode link again and used it to modify the post (the URL was different this time?!). I checked the post with a different browser, not signed in, and the WIP shows ok.

Does it show up now?

Any clue what I did wrong in photobucket?

David
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Pat

David your wip shows up fine for me.  You have done a wonderful job on a really, really tough restoration.  I do think her skin tone is a little unnatural looking.  She could use a little more pink in the highlight areas of her face and arms maybe.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

dle

Thanks for the suggestion, Pat. Here's a new version:

Hmmm. In looking at the picture in the post preview, I notice that in Firefox 20 and in IE 10 it looks pinker -- sunburned, even-- than it does in PS. Wonder what's going on. There's been no color space change -- it's all sRGB -- and downloading the photobucket version and then looking at it in PS displays no color shift. Most mysterious.

Suggestions on getting rid of the color shift in postings and on whether I went too far in adding a little pink would be most appreciated.

David
Dave

Pat

David I think her skin tone is better now.  She is not looking too pink on my monitor.  We did have some discussions on the forum a while back about restores that were looking too red when posted on the forum even though they looked fine when viewed in Photoshop.  I can't find the link that started the discussions and addressed the issue in detail but here are some of them that you may find interesting.

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php?topic=3331.msg30083#msg30083

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3378.msg30489.html#msg30489

Pat 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

dle

Thanks, Pat. I agree -- she was considerably too gray before.

Thanks, too, for the pointers to the discussion about photos looking too red when posted on the forum. It's an interesting rabbit trail to follow. I discovered several things that will be useful to me, anyway, so I thought I'd share them.

If you use PS "Save for Web..." to create images you'll upload to photobucket, be sure to check the box for "Embed Color Profile." Without that, color management consists of guessing that the photo is using the sRGB profile.

If you upload a photo to photobucket that has an embedded profile, downloading it using photobucket's Options Download will result in a photo with the profile still embedded.

If you upload a photo with an embedded profile to photobucket and use any of the links to it that photobucket provides (like the img tag we use on the forum), the photos that photobucket serves up don't appear to have an embedded profile. This means that browsers either have to guess when they do color management or decide not to do it at all. Firefox, at least, decides by default not to color manage. And that means photos with our color profile show up in Firefox too red.

It's possible to tell Firefox to color manage photos that have no embedded profile. You can do it through Firefox's about:config mechanism or you can get the Firefox color-management addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/color-management/). Then in the options for the addon, tell it to do color management for all images. This will get Firefox to guess that an image with no profile is sRGB.

David

Dave

Pat

Very interesting information David, thanks for sharing  :up2:

Pat

Pat