• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sandwich Technique

Started by Kenny, November 18, 2006, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Here is the tutorial. I posted it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhjsy0_yMM

As with any technique in photoshop, you can do several different things with this. I've found that if I'm really stuck on a project, I can do this and it usually helps.

If anyone has trouble understanding the video, let me know and I'll clarify myself. I realize all of you may not speak "Hillbilly", so forgive my accent.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

kiska

Very nice tut, even withmy dialup burps. Thanks
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

pcraft

Excellent tutorial Kenny....   :up:

Robert

Ausimax

Great Tutorial Kenny, made it all much clearer. :up2:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ratz

outstanding tut Kenny, thanks a bunch!!!

glennab

Kenny -- Great tutorial!  I can attest that the technique worked very well on my last restoration, and I'm sure I'll use it again with the next one.

Thanks for taking the time to give us such a succinct explanation.

GG

(P.S. I think you have a wonderful accent!  Heaven forbid that we should all sound alike.  How boring is that!)
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

RosyBijou

Kenny,
Wow--I just stumbled on this thread -- and boy am I glad I did.  I know of another sandwich technique and just assumed that this was the same...   <<..it's not..>>

Anyway, keeping the photographic quality of our originals has always been challenging with those really damaged images and this technique is just wonderful!

I'm curious if you use smart objects on your original layer.  I couldn't see (my fourty-something eyes are acting up!) with your clip if it was...
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

phischer

Can anyone explain this technique to me. I've heard about it in throughout several different threads. When I just went to watch the video, it was no longer there. It says it was removed by user. :(

glennab

Hi!

Kenny must have just removed the video, because I checked it out Saturday before I recommended it to someone and it was still there.  I always have to refer to it, because I can never remember exactly what he did.  I'm hoping someone else can.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

I THINK this is it. I believe Kenny used the eraser on the desat layer. I prefer a mask...it's more forgiving. ;D

http://upload.pbase.com/image/81958624

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

phischer

Please forgive my ignorance....what does this technique accomplish? Why/When should I use it?

kiska

Someone else will have to answer that. I don't use it.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

kstruve

From what I remember, the Sandwich Technique is for restoring the photographic quality to a restoration that has lost it, i.e, become painterly.  I think you copy the original, damaged image onto an layer (on Overlay blending mode) over your restored image, then use an eraser to delete the damaged areas, revealing the restored image underneath.

I hope I haven't gotten it all wrong.  Kenny would be the expert on this, of course.  It's too bad his youtube video is missing.

Kurt