• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Logo ID

Started by jaytrumpet, March 13, 2013, 05:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaytrumpet

I recently submitted this restoration of an old portrait (a "cabinet card" taken in a local studio) and it was suggested that I try to recreate the logo of the portrait studio. Can anyone help me identify the logo (bottom center) and find a copy of it on line to use.

Jay

Mhayes

Jay, I do not see another portrait like that for the family. If someone should have the same studio from another family, perhaps they might be able to shed some light. I tried different ways to bring out the detail, including the High Pass filter, but it is just too far gone.

What I would be more concerned about is the background. It looks like you have substituted a gray background and then dropped the soldier in. I would go back with the original and clean it up. You will find that the hair will look better on top and not look cut out. You have done a good job on the shading of the forehead and nose. The jawline on your left is hard since it fades into the background, but it will still be easier on the original and not the gray background. Working at 200% magnification will also help you see where the damage is still showing.

One thing I noticed is that some detail has been lost in the uniform. This is going to be one of those photos where it would pay to work awhile and then come back since it is going to take some time to clean up. As to the logo, I could get nothing out of it and I would do like you have done and do the best with what you have unless someone can find the studio.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

Margie,

Went back and did a little work on it. Got rid of the gradient as you suggested. Would still like to "recreate" the studio logo if anyone can help me with that. Bambi suggested that some members are quite knowledgeable about those old studio logos and hopefully someone will chime in.

Jay

bjtx

Just a quick idea here --- -

Maybe CS6 hdr toning on a b/w of the original image would help to see more details. 
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Candice

I'd like to see that logo at about 400 DPI  :wow:
Candice

seekingoz

Since we're talking logos...I'm being challenged by what I think is a team logo on a sweater in the image (circled in red). I've tried googling tons of things having to do with hockey teams and maple leaves and Canada and anything else I can think of. If anyone has any other suggestions...I'm so ready to hear them! Including different modes, channels, color spaces, hdr toning, etc. I've gone through everything I can think of...including Jacob's Ladder, which doesn't do a thing for this image. I'm afraid I might have to leave it a mystery if I don't get some new ideas.

FYI, this is the original image, lightened. I've been working on this for several days but think the original is the best thing to show...to give you an idea of the damage.

Thanks.  :crazy:

Judy

bjtx

Judy,
I thought perhaps  the logo could be SSUP or BBUP; however,  an image search for 'Canadian Hockey logo SSUP' & BBUP turned up nothing.

If I were working on the logo, I would likely fade out the letters some & blur them a little.  That is, if Jonas & the others think that would be OK.

good luck with the restoration.
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Tess (Tassie D)

This is all I could get out of the logo.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

seekingoz

Thanks for the suggestions, Betty. Considering how many faces are going to have to be blurred, the logo seems like a small thing. I'll check with Jonas, though.

Judy

Mhayes

Judy, if you will look at the blue channel you can see most of the logo: BBUP (?) and for the rest fade--plus the letters are at a angle anyway. There is enough of a hint of the letters as it is in the photo.

I'm not sure that is true about most of the faces being blurred. If you looked  in RGB, you are right, but take a look in the blue channel and you will see them a lot clearer. Here is a link to using specific channels: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2666.msg24995.html#msg24995 Yes, the rest of the photo may not look right, but this is where you will use layer masks and work on certain sections at a time.

(click on to get larger image)

Not 100 % clear on detail, but much better than looking for detail in RGB. For help on this one, I would start a new post.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Jay, I'm afraid your post got sidelined and sometimes it is best to start a new post even when the problems are similar. I like this version better and I think the detail for logo that has been posted is pretty good and I would go with it.

I might add that I would try to stay away from gradients on our work, because sometimes when it goes to print it causes problems and doesn't look as good as it does on the screen.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Typo

To me, it looks like it says BAUER. I couldn't find that logo with an image search, but it being a 'hockey' company would be a good guess.

Mike

seekingoz

Thanks Typo. Yes, it is Bauer! I found their website and it's the same logo font.

I also want to sincerely apologize for hijacking this thread. I didn't think it through when I posted here. It won't happen again.  :-[

Judy