• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Jacquelyn's Workshop

Started by Jacquelyn, June 24, 2006, 06:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would be best for printing and sending to the owner?

Version 1
1 (8.3%)
Version 2
6 (50%)
Version 3
0 (0%)
Version 4
0 (0%)
None.  Needs more work.
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Jacquelyn

On this photo, I couldn't decide which direction to take in returning it to "wedding album" level.
The white bits in their hair are pieces of confetti, not damage.

Versions are (obviously) in order of execution;
the last was made by layering v3 over v1 then adjusting transparency of v3 to produce v4.

Original at 72 pxi

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4

vhansen

I like version 3 best, but without the oval. I voted "needs more work" because of the pink cast and little bit left to repair. Overall, nice cleanup, especially on the jacket.

happyheart

I voted needs more work, as I think you should forget the oval highlight and finish the clean up on the remainder of the dress, window, back left corner.  Perhaps a slight blur on the grooms jacket would help with the noise that is evident also.  The faces and oval highlight area look really good, but I would like to see the remainder in a cleaner condition.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

Quoin

I think you have done an astounding job - with such large patches of damage, great work. I prefer the second version - with the rest of the damage repaired. I personally don't love the oval effect, though I can see how it can help this photo. If you had version 2 repaired with and without cameo (fading to white around edges) You could give them 2 versions. Great effort.
The Future is waiting.....

Jacquelyn

Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful thoughts. I recall reading some guidance on the project warning against wholesale repainting, so having other eyes and minds address the issues has great value to me.

Mark Wilson

Hi Jacquelyn,

I think you're doing a great job. (Can't find a "thumbs Up" emoticon!)

I agree with Happyheart about the jacket etc, the stitching on the jacket collar should also continue all the way up. Not convinced about the vignette.

If you decide to go for the vignette effect you might consider fading to white, a more traditional look for this kind of shot.

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

Jacquelyn

Ok, so...
best would be completed windows and surround to the corners, complete lapel detail at jacket, and convert to black and white, blancing for best detail in shadow and highlights?

I considered knocking out the background and doing a gradient.  Will test and post when I get the rest finished.

Thank you!

John

allanpat

version 2 with a bit more work - i don't think you should use the oval effect or any other sort of fade.  Returning the photo with the most image data intact gives them the most opportunity to reprint it in the future in the manner they'd like.

pcraft

I completely agree with Allanpat...     It's the most pleasing to my eyes...   :cool: