• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

White borders around images. Keep or remove?

Started by Methok, February 10, 2013, 07:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Methok

Hi.

I was wondering if we are to keep or remove the white borders around some of the images? I ask because the one I am currently working on has a white border but is not the same dimensions all round.

Should I keep it? Crop it out but keep the same dimension of the original image? Or submit both versions and leave it to the distributor to decide?

Thank you.  :up:

- Steve

Hannie

Great question Steve, I have often wondered about that myself!
We usually leave the white border intact even if it doesn't have any date stamp or writing on it.

I understand that you would want to fix the uneven dimensions of the white border all around but that may not be a good idea.  Sometimes QC uses the original photo as an overlay to make a minor adjustment before the photo goes to printer.  If the dimensions of the image itself are changed the 2 photos no longer line up and the adjustment cannot be done.

:)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Methok

Thank you for your answer,. I leave the border alone then :D

- Steve

Mhayes

Steve,

A lot of the photo will have uneven borders because they have been torn and yes, the border could have been cropped. The main reason why they were not is that the white border gives you a true white to use when you color correct with the white eye dropper in either Levels or Curves. I normally shy away from it, because unless it is close to a true white it will cause the highlights to be blown out. The second reason why having an uneven border won't matter is that those photos that are an off size are dropped into a size offered by the printer and with the background being white it will even things out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]