• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

"Non Restore" Cha!lenge!

Started by Hannie, January 10, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi everyone,

As promised, here is our new group challenge:

Uploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.usIsn't she a beauty?
One of our volunteers suggested that we break up the restore in parts and start with color correction, good idea!

You can post your work here in this topic.  It would be great if you can also add a small description of what you did to get your result.  Of course you can add comments to other posts, ask questions, joke around a bit, etc.

:loveit:

Hannie

PS
I noticed that Photobucket changed the size of my upload, originally this is a 4x6 in, 300dpi photo but now it is smaller. Anyone have a suggestion how I can get the proper size out to all that want to work it?

Update: Thanks all for the help, I changed the link to Imageshack and the image now is full res!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, PhotoBucket has the size to 14.222 x 9.472 @72 dpi, but once download it your can crop to 6 x 4 @ 300. However, I think keep it at that since volunteers will be uploading back. The only other alternative would be for volunteers to contact you or Bambi and have the file sent by either email or put in their gallery in Photo Shelter.

This is going to be fun!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Hannie
I've found that Pixentral com  http://pixentral.com/ usually keeps the same number of pixels of an image. However, it can be very slow to open & process the image.

(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Tori803

Well, I though I'd try color correcting first so I did a Levels adjustment layer followed by a Curves adjustment to make it brighter. I'm wondering if I've gone too far. What do you think?

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Tori803

Oops. Here's on big enough to see:

Tori

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Thanks BJTX, the download is a little too slow.  I changed the download link to my Imageshack account.  I did not realize they also have an option to keep size and res intact, download seems a little faster.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

bjtx

Hannie, I agree about the Pixentral slowness.

WIP 1 & plans:
1.  eliminated some of the aberrant colors & used levels.
2.  started blocking in better color &  replaced what seems to be a ghostly shape (person?) in the lower right in the original.

EDIT:  WIP 1 image removed.  An  advanced WIP image will be posted later, time permitting.

Thanks for the interesting challenge, Hannie.
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 

lurch

Okay, how do I download the full resolution image? It's in Bambi's gallery (!) but Photobucket won't let me download from there, even after signing in. Help!!!
<C>

Hannie

Lurch, when you right click on the image in my first post you can save it to your hard drive, it is full res!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

wzthxj

Hello everyone,

Just joined and was directed to this challenge.  At first glance I thought the image in the lower rh was a person as well, but it's actually handwriting that appears to have come from the back of another photo laying on top of this one.  I made a selection of the area, flipped it, duplicated it,  and played with saturation and curves to bring out some of the text.  Unfortunately, most of it is just a large ink stain.  I'm not sure how to attach an image here.  Good luck!

Tori803

Hi Betty. I think the cubicle on the far right has a divider that goes all the way to the floor. That's assuming it's like regular cubicles I've worked in. You can't tell from the damage.

Tori
Tori

bjtx

@ wzthxj  --  I think you are right - just a large ink stain.
@ tori --  You're right about the cubicle.  My 2nd version includes a full-height division.

Tori803

I didn't have much time to work on this today, but I decided to see if any more detail was hiding in the blue channel. I found some information for the two faces on the right, and for the lower hand on the right. So I copied the blue channel, clicked on the "RGB" layer in the Channels panel (window), then went back to the Layers panel. I pasted the blue channel copy above the other layers and added a vector mask by clicking on the "Add Vector Mask" icon at the bottom of the screen. Then I blacked out the vector mask by pressing CTRL + Backspace. Next I chose the Brush tool, changed the foreground color to white, and painted on the mask to reveal the parts I wanted to used (the hand and parts of 2 faces). Then I changed the blend mode to Luminosity. From here I'll start working on damage, unless anyone has another suggestion.

Tori

Mhayes

This really looking great Tori and thanks for the screen prints and the instructions!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]