• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Question from a newbie

Started by Octavia Larkspur, January 08, 2013, 04:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavia Larkspur

Hello everyone. I am new to OPR and logging in today really for the first time. Is it correct that I only see 5 images all in Bambi's gallery on Photoshelter? I have the feeling I am doing something wrong. It seems like there should be many more photos that need restoring then I am seeing. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
-Stephanie
(Berkeley, CA)

Mhayes

Hi Stephanie,

You are doing nothing wrong. What happened is that we might have had enough photos to last until we made it to our next copy run in New York set for Feb 2-3, but once the call went out on Adobe Facebook's page and later an article in NAPP's magazine---we were flooded with volunteers and all of the photos that were left were taken with the exception of what you are seeing Bambi's Gallery. It was wonderful to get so many new volunteers, but unfortunately we ran out of photos except for what you are seeing.

There has been a suggestion from one our Aussie volunteer to use this time to put out some former photos for a group contest that would make for a good learning experience before we are back in business. I am open to this, but would like to know if there is much interest. I have done group restores that are open to everyone and in the past haven't really haven't had much success.

If this sounds like something all of you would want to do, post here.

Thanks Stephanie and it will get a lot more fun around here in another month.  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Margie & Aussie volunteer:
Contests with earlier photos, along with pertinent Q&A  would be interesting & fun.  I definitely would try to participate in such challenges.  However, I hope voting will not be involved, because (IMO) that might put a damper on participation.
Betty  :)
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Atlantis

I think it could be very helpful to have some oldies that have common problems and some that looked like non-restores at first in a public challenge to see how many ways we can solve these problems.
Along the years of volunteering I found myself approaching the same problem differently as fellow volunteers shared their workflows & solutions and as my tools (software & hardware - especially mouse to wacom) evolved as well.
It could work like a warming up and training before the big race starts.
Even the most experienced new volunteers learned that these damaged photo's ask for different approaches compared to the average family album restores.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

I agree, it would be a great learning experience for us all!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

seekingoz

I agree, too. It would be a great way to learn new techniques and get ourselves up to speed for the real challenges.

Judy

lurch

<C>

dgales

Count me in, too! I t would be great to have some images to work on.

PhotoBob

I'm in Margie  :up:  I've been practic'en  :halo:

PhotoBob
PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin

jesterjeni

I think posting the non restores is a great idea!! I love a challenge, and the skills in this forum are amazing
maybe with some team work we could come up with something nice enough to send home!!

Mhayes

Let the games begin!  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

I can hear the grunge machine being cranked up :-\

Athol

Mhayes

And Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the instigator of this new game: Athol He is also the volunteer that said I reminded him of a duck--calm at the top and paddling like crazy below.  ;D I've ran this by the inner group wondering if this was some sick Aussie joke, but Tess assured me it was a compliment. Shujen on the other hand replied: "Note to self: Do not call a woman a duck." I'm still pondering a course of action.

It's great to have you back on the Forum as you have been missed.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

See Athol, I stuck up for you so Margie wouldn't let her corgi chew on the photo as well as sending it through the muck machine.   :halo:

No judging on the photo, just a group learning effort and a chance to see how everyone works and their secrets.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

It was not easy trying to locate the mucker upper machine.  After Margie had used it, it changed hands from Bambi to Jonas and finally it ended with Tess. 

There was a fair bit of maintenance to do after all the over hours of mucking up but I managed to get the machine working again, got a good result on the last image in Bambi's gallery. 

I will post it in a new topic for all of you to have a jab at!

>:D

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]