• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Flood of New Volunteers!

Started by Mhayes, November 21, 2012, 03:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Welcome New Volunteers!

Thanks to Adobe Photoshop on Facebook, we are getting an avalanche of new volunteers. The bad news is that our sever Dreamhost had the mail go down as well as our website, so Murphy's Law went into effect. Right now there is a constant flow of volunteers registering by email with OPR. We are so grateful, but ask for your patience as it takes time to get everyone registered.

We are gearing up  to go first to NY for multiple copy runs and then maybe NJ. It could happen as soon as December or after the first of the year. Realize until the copy runs start, there will not be enough available photos from our previous runs to go around. Once things start rolling, there is going to me a ton of photos to restore.

Stay tuned to the Forum and OPR's Facebook.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

JohnG

I learned of OPR through NAPP / Scott Kelby (photoshop user magazine) on Facebook and followed his link, then later when I logged into Twitter, Scott had a tweet there about OPR also

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mhayes

John, NAPP has been a big supporter--and all the gurus behind the scene--and now getting Adobe Photoshop endorsement is like icing on the cake.  OPR is really a team effort and I can't think all of you enough for making this possible.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, that is great news, hope you and the rest of the team are not getting overwhelmed!   :D

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Niksmum

Has  the location of the NY run been decided yet? Can I put in a vote for the south shore of Long Island.

Irene

Mhayes

Irene, nothing has been firmed up yet, but this time will be totally different than most of our past runs with the exception of Katrina. NY and the areas hit will be a challenge because of transportation problems of getting around for us and also those hit by Sandy. We could be looking at 4 to 5 different locations and Long Island would be one of them. Our initial runs will be geared for each unique circumstance in that area. As I get more information I will post.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I'm sure the pun wasn't intended, but the heading of your post is so appropriate.  The first thing I thought when I realized the pummeling NY and NJ were going to take from Sandy was how in the world would we be able to overcome that much destruction in such a large area.  Then I looked at all of the posts from new volunteers and was so happy that we've had the influx of huge hearts into OPR. I can't imagine the number of copy runs you'll have to plan to help all the victims of this disaster. It especially hit home when I realized that when we did the run to Biloxi after Katrina it was three years after the storm, and even then we left many people still holding sodden and damaged photos.

I'll have to check FB for the publicity we've gotten from Adobe.  NAPP has always been a friend of OPR.  I joined in 2006 because of a plea for help from Dave Ellis on Photoshop User's web site. They've supplied us with great tutorial material and have written us up several times in their magazine. Obviously they've also helped us recruit some great new talent in the last few months.

My one wish is that I could make it to another copy run.  I'd encourage anyone who is able to get to the areas hit by Sandy to become part of a copy run team.  It's one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have. I'll never forget my three incredible days in Biloxi.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)