• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello from Long Island, NY

Started by Aislin, November 08, 2012, 02:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aislin

Just a little wave and hello to all of you.  I live on Long Island, NY and can't wait to get started.  After spending 11 years working on my family history, I am more than aware of just how precious family photos are and would be absolutely devastated to lose any of them. 

Being surrounded by so much loss, I can't sit idly by and do nothing.  So here I am.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for having me.

Lori

Pat

Lori, a warm welcome from Michigan!  It's great to see you on the forum.  This is a wonderful place to interact with your fellow volunteers from all around the world who love to share tips and techniques.  When things get slow we tend to get silly too.

Being from Long Island you will be able to give us first hand reports on how things are going out there in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the super storm, and the nor'easter.  We would love to have you join us on a copy run also.
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Aislin

Thank you for the welcome Pat. 

Right now alot of the areas are inaccessable, sadly enough to prevent the curious and looters from entering these areas while the cleanup is still ongoing. 

My husband and I are down to one car at the moment due to the incredible gas situation which leaves me lots of time to feel like I should be doing something, anything.  Its so disheartening to see long lines of people standing in the frigid cold with gas cans in their hands to keep their generators running.  I was fortunate in that I only lost power for three days, but having had my power restored can only watch the efforts on tv.

But I'm very happy to have found this place and am looking forward to being able to help.

Aislin

And yes I would be happy to participate in a copy run.

Mike S.

Another Hello from Michigan Lori,

Nice to see you on the Forum.  What everyone does at OPR is very rewarding and I am sure you will enjoy it.  If you are restoring a photo and need help this is the place to get it.  Just post your photo and ask for help.

Mike
Mike S.

Aislin

Thanks Mike!

Wow alot of Michigan people.  My mother lives in Michigan.  One of you should trot over and give her a hug for me  ;D

Niksmum

Hi there  :up:

Nice to see you on here.  Maybe we will meet up at last if there is a run.

How did you get on with yesterdays storm. I lost power for a while as did my daughter but both have since been restored. I cannot imagine how those who are on day 11 without power are managing.

Stay safe

Irene

Aislin

Irene, hello!

We ended up with about an inch of accumulated slushy snow, no further trees have come down (that I've seen) and no power loss, thank heavens. 

Now that they implemented the odd-even gas restrictions, maybe that will bring the lines of cars down to a more manageable level.

And yes, it would be nice if we finally met, after all these years.   ;)

Hannie

Hi Lori and a warm welcome from Amsterdam!
Hope you will enjoy your first OPR restore.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Lori,

A warm welcome from Kansas! It has been hard to watch the aftermath of Sandy and then see the followup with Nor'easter that took out power that had been restored.

We will be coming to NY and talks are underway as to location and time. It looks like after the first of the year and more info will be posted as it comes in. What we are most concerned about now is that the people know how to take care of their damage photos, see home page. So many times we hear people say they threw photos away like what their neighbor is bringing in, not knowing they could be saved.

We are so happy you found us and wonder if it was through social media, such as Facebook, or searching the Internet? We got a huge response from a FB posting on Occupy Sandy. This is a wonderful organization that is a grassroots effort that has hit the payment running and in some cases the only one in an area proving aid. Here is their site: http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/ and their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OccupySandyReliefNyc

Hope to meet you in person and on the forum. Keep us posted on what is happening.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Aislin

Thank you both Hannie and Margie for your warm welcome. 

I heard about OPR through Niksmum as we had known each other through the photo restoration forum on Rootschat. 

Right now clean up continues and although the power companies are working to get everyone restored, there are still several communities without power.  The gas shortage makes it difficult for everyone to get around and frustrations are high in this regard.  Since the latest storm (the Nor'easter that just blew through to add insult to injury) I haven't heard much on the news regarding the cleanup efforts but I'm sure they're up to their elbows in it trying to get all the debris moved.  I did hear that many communities in this area are allowing residents a brief window to get back to their homes to rescue what they can from what remains of their belongings.  Many tearful pleas about retrieving precious photos and mementos.