• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sailor and his Bride

Started by Angie, October 08, 2012, 05:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Ok, here goes my first "official" restoration! Feedback on the color correction would be appreciated...

I'm not sure if the original was b&w or sepia?

The area around her neck and chest is blown out. I am going to try to bring back any detail I can, but for now I can't get past the color correction. Perhaps the tone should be cooler?

Take Care,
Angie

Creative Cloud CS6

Pat

Hi Angie, it's wonderful to see you on the forum with your first official restoration!

The blue channel has the most information and if you copy that and paste it to RGB, you can change that layer to luminosity to get the color back, then apply a curves adjustment and you will avoid the problem of it being blown out.  If you go with b/w you can then apply a channel mixer layer and click the monochrome box.  Because there is more than one of these wedding photos for this couple and they should all be done the same you should check with the gallery distributor to confirm the color.

Blue channel copied:

Channel mixer mono:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Bambi

I second that, Pat. Great to see you on Forum, Angie. Pat's tip is a great technique that you will use repeatedly on these restorations. What a lovely photograph.

Bambi

Angie

Thanks Pat and Bambi. Do I leave a comment on the image in my gallery to ask the distributor about the color?
Take Care,
Angie

Creative Cloud CS6

Hannie

Angie, depending on who your distributor is you can send them an email.  You will find their email address below:

for Jonas Gallery---contact: [email protected]
for Tess      "     --- contact: [email protected]
for Bambi    "     --- contact: [email protected]

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Angie I'd stick with the sepia. Pat's tutorial on using the blue channel brings out the best results to avoid blowing the highlights.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Angie

Thanks Tess. I'll keep it sepia and finish it shortly!
Take Care,
Angie

Creative Cloud CS6

Angie

Take Care,
Angie

Creative Cloud CS6