• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Would like some feedback - Techniques & Tips

Started by MikeG, September 24, 2012, 08:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeG

This is my second attempt with this image.  The first time I think I over corrected.  This time I took a different approach.  Duplicated the image layer, fixed damage with spot healing, patch tool, clone stamp.  Added a blank layer set to soft light and using black and white set to a very low opacity and flow painted in for some soft burning and dodging.  Added a layers adjustment for color balance and then a black/white adjustment layer.  Still not completely satisfied and would appreciate any other suggestions.  The original is a very low resolution image.

Before

After

schen

Mike,

I think you did a pretty good job restoring a photo that wasn't in a good shape to start.

Here is my take of the hair line of the guy on the right:

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

MikeG

Yes, that looks better.  That part was badly damaged as you can see from the original. 
Did you paint it in using clone stamp or pick up the color from some other part of the hair and just paint it in using a low opacity and flow to build it up.

schen

For a task like this, I usually start with an new layer on top and use pencil tool to draw the outline.  I used the clone stamp to copy the forehead from the surrounding then blurred the hairline to match the other side.  Finally, finished it with some adjustments with the burn tool.
Shujen Chen

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

Shujen Chen

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

MikeG

Thanks to all for the replies.  The hairline being raised I think matches the original the best.  I get back to work and try and fix the hairline.

Mike G.