• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Graduate

Started by Atlantis, August 11, 2012, 04:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Posting progress on a restore, as promised to Margie. There are two problems. The colours might need some desat and after trying different approaches to recreate his hands I decided to leave them out because there was no sign of their size/shape/pose. That leaves a decision on how and where to end the sleeves.

original

fase 1 as uploaded for review

fase 3, trying to solve the probable yellow issue

QuoteYou did a nice job on the hedge and I'm OK with the gown's sleeves hiding the hands, but it would look better to have the folds on the sleeve above continuing on down.. Also, you might want to correct the weird coloring by adding a blank layer, change to color mode and brushing some of the bad colors out. The gown to have more color done the same way with your color layers opacity reduced.
Margie

The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

glennab

Hi Atlantis and Margie:

Yes, I am indeed still alive - and with a few brain cells still firing.  This image intrigued me enough that I wanted to weigh in on a couple of things.  The folds on the graduation gown are very strange.  The larger one at the left front would almost suggest that he's holding his arm to the front; but that doesn't explain all the extra fabric behind it (wind?).  I don't see any way to extrapolate where the sleeves are - much less where they'd end and have it look right.  I wonder if it would be best to crop this one at the bottom up to the end of the sleeve at the left and the whole image proportionately either at the left or the right side - or both, since neither seems to have anything critical in it.

The only other thing I could see to do would be to bring the fabric all the way to the bottom, even though it would look as if his hands were covered, keeping the look of the folds as best as you can.  My graduation gown covered my hands, and I'm sure the sleeves were longer than these at this point. If you go that route, you might want to eliminate the obvious clone marks in the hedge. I can see some on both sides.

I'll defer to Margie's expertise on the color issues, as it seems that you've already discussed this image at another time.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Atlantis

Oops, I thought I nailed it this afternoon and now I finally see the clonemarks I missed. (removed previously posted wips)
It's getting dark now so I will tackle those marks tomorrow and repost.

... the next morning ... be patient something went wrong again ...

I worked on the clonemarks in the hedge and it looks fine on my screen while still in PS but when I save for web AND when I just save and remove all personal info I keep seeing cloneghosts on the hedge. It was only after saving using another name that things seemed sorted out.

So I redid and resaved several times and decided to upload to Jonas and let him have a look.
Perhaps QC will decide to do a crop as suggested By Glenna to hide the missing hands.

Thank you and have a nice day.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.