• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Feedback Appreciated

Started by cmpentecost, October 25, 2006, 07:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

Vicki and any of you other Photoshop gurus,

I need some help on this, in order to accomplish what Vicki did.  I must be missing a step, or something.  I was unable to copy the blue channel, as "copy" was not available.  However, I did do a "select all", which then allowed me to copy and paste the blue channel. After clicking on luminosity, however, the yellow was still pretty yellow, but just not as bold of a yellow, and I could see thru the colors.

Vicki, would you mind giving me a more detailed description of what you did to achieve the look you got?  I've not really worked with channels before, so this has been a great (yet frustrating) learning experience.

Thank you so much.

Christine

vhansen

Christine,
Sorry, my mistake. You are correct. I left out the "select all" part (I've edited my original post).
I'm not sure if I understand what your problem is. 
Quotethe yellow was still pretty yellow, but just not as bold of a yellow, and I could see thru the colors
Are you starting over from scratch?
What I did:  I put your finished image on a layer (set to "color")over the pasted channel layer (changed mode from "luminosity" to "normal"). It's actually backwards from my instructions due to the fact that you've already corrected the color and there is no sense in redoing that.  You may have to make some adjustments here and there (I had to desaturate some red areas in his face as it was too strong).
Does that help?

cmpentecost

I think I've got it!  I think I've got it!!!  Stay tuned, as I will post the finished product, but Vicki is my hero today.  Every time I think I know all there is to know in Photoshop, I learn something new.  This is a great forum, and I've learned so much in the 4+ months I've been involved.   :loveit:

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers.

Christine

Kenny

Christine, I've been following this one, too.

Channels have always been one of those weird mysteries to me. Same way with curves. Since I've been here I've had my eyes opened to both. Now if I could just learn to really use that pen tool.... :funny:

I can't wait to see the finished work.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

If I can accomplish channels and the pen tool, I'll really be a Photoshop guru.  I've never used the pen tool, but probably need to do a tutorial on it to understand how it works.  Photoshop is such a powerful and huge program.  I've been working with it for 5 years, and while I know a lot about it, realized today how much more I still have to learn. 

I'll keep you posted!

Chris

glennab

Hi!

I just wanted to throw a thought in about the pen tool.  If any of you has worked in a vector program (Illustrator, Freehand), it works the same as theirs, with bezier curves.  I find it invaluable when I want to get a very precise selection, don't have enough contrast for the magic wand (which isn't my favorite way to select anyway), or just want to be really close to the edge of part of an image. Make a path, turn the working path into a selection and it'll be as precise as the path is.  The trick is getting comfortable with the bezier curves, and that's a matter of practice.  There's much more control in creating a selection that way. I couldn't do my job without it!

Not very "Photoshop-ish" but it can't be beat for close-in selections.  Give it a try.  It's worth it!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi,

Just my two cents worth, I have bumbled my way through channels, not as elegantly as Vikki's method but I have found them useful, as far as the paths pen goes. that is my main method of selection, don't actually use the bezier curves all that much, just click around the outline, join the dots sort of thing, I find it much less hassle than any of the lasso tools and quicker and more accurate.

Thats my take on things, anyway I'd better get busy, I have got some pic's out of Becky's gallery and it time to start earning my keep again ( so keep your eye's on the help wanted column).

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

cmpentecost

Hi,

While I'm unpacking boxes, I thought I'd let you guys critique this picture for me.  Does it need more tweaking?  I really want to send it home, but want your opinions.  Thanks!

Christine

Kenny

Looks good, Christine  :up:

I was going to say something about the Father's eyes still looking a little off, but I realized it's just because he's not looking at the camera.

I can't see any more that need to be done. Send him home!

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

Thanks Kenny.  I think I do need to change the priest's eye a bit, as Vicki had suggested in a prior comment.  I forgot to to this but think he would look better if I "corrected" his vision!

Christine

Kenny

You probably already do this, but what I usually do is paint out the dot and make a new one on a new layer. It's so hard to make get them perfect by painting it directly on the eye (at least it is for me). That way I can move the dot around until it looks right.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Chris -- You did an awesome job on this young man.  I think I'd still slightly lighten his brows, and the shadow between the eyes of the young guy in the back bothers me.  Otherwise I'd say he can go home.

You're a pro for sure!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Thanks Glenna and Kenny.  As for the shadow on the young man in back, my husband and I determined it is Ash Wednesday, or something similar.  That mark is on the original, as are some scratches on his face, so I left them. 

Winchester (cat) is having an awful lot of fun with the unpacking.  I've been unpacking the kitchen all morning, and he buries himself under all the paper!

Christine

glennab

Chris -- You're talking kitty heaven!  Winchester must be having a ball!

I've been known to dump a huge pile of shredded paper in the middle of the living room, and all 12 of my monsters have a field day.  It's a riot!  If I don't do that once in a while, they "dumpster dive" and dig in the trash to find old TP rolls or anything else interesting to play with.  Yanking paper out of the bin into which we shred paper is another stunt.  The nocturnal activities result in many surprises in the morning!

I don't envy you all the work of unpacking, but it must be great finding all your treasures again.  Enjoy!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Christine, I agree with glenns about the brows and hair. Too dark and Defined. If you will look at the young man's mouth and nose, they are 'soft', not in sharp focus. It would help to try to match that.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro