• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

kiska WIPs

Started by kiska, November 04, 2006, 04:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I agree with the eye-crinkling. It's not so much like a wrinkle thing but a crinkle. It really brings out her smile. I think a little crinkling in the outside corner of the eyes might do the trick. It's very subtle, though, so go easy.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Leah M

`ello Kenny :)

In the pic below, of just her, I've ever so slightly change the shape of her eyes from underneath to try and reflect the raised cheekbones.

I don't know how that pic works for anyone else .. but it's a mix of very small changes.

The underneath of the eyes lifted
The teeth have been evened out.  It felt that the perspective of long teeth to short helped create a larger mouth than she has.
The lips a little filled out (perhaps too much) and the 'cupid' minimised as the smile stretches the mouth
The corners of the mouth have been less defined, drawn in a little to reduce width, relying on shading rather than defined shape
The shading at chin level has been blended a little more to reduce the 'long' chin line look

Those were my impressions when playing a little with the photo.

Leah M

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

kiska

I don't see a pic!??!! of just the woman.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kenny

Kiska, she's talking about the last pic on the first page. Basically it's just slight changes to make the eyes look more....I don't know what they are more of, lol. This one is so hard to pin down. I tried and honestly couldn't come up with anything more to add to it, but I still felt like something was missing.

I know, I'm not a lot of help on this one :P

But why is the rum gone?

Leah M

I'm sorry if I was confusing things, kiska.  My messages in threads are shown 'latest first' so my 'below' would have been 'above' to anyone not using the same message order option as me.

I shall try and be more aware of that :)

Leah M

glennab

Hi kiska

This restoration so intrigued me that I spent my lunch hour at work trying everything I could to get a better idea of what the young woman looks like.  The best results I got were by using the filters/render/lighting effects and playing with them until I could discern that she's very young and her face is thinner than your version.  I don't think her bottom teeth show, and I also think that her upper teeth are smaller. I wish I could make more suggestions, but that was the best I could do.  I hope it helps.

The people with whom I work couldn't believe that ANYONE would try to restore this photo.  What you're doing is truly special!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

UNCLE!!!!

Thanks for hammering away at this, guys. I appreciate it.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

kiska

Last one before the new crop. Comments??

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Good morning Kiska

I think you've accomplished a lovely painting, but it doesn't look much like the original photo.  There's plenty of detail available in the photo to pull up a more realistic rendering of these kids.  And I don't think the baby's hand could be on big brother's arm.  What I see there looks more like sleeve.

Maybe try the healing tool on some areas and very careful cloning to get the true pixels. (That advice is courtesy of my learning all this from my wonderful OPR coaches!)

Some channel checking and color correction on a separate layer will give you more to go on. Not necessarily to use in the restoration, but to see more of what's there.

I fight this same syndrome constantly.  I've done several fine looking paintings myself, only to go back and re-do the whole thing, allowing a little more of the distruction to stay, rather than get the image so smooth it doesn't look real.  It's a tough balance.   As a matter of fact, I'm re-working a restoration right now for that reason.

I'd definitely go back and try again on this one.  It'll be worth it. I know that from hard experience!

Best to you as always,

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Here's the green channel. Looks to me that's the baby's hand on the boy's arm, and the boy is mesmerized. His eyes are looking straight at it. Don't think he'd be so enthralled with a sleeve. If it's too painterly, I'll be more than happy to offer it to whoever wants it; no problem. 8)

(*&^&*&*( ..................the first '?' works when clicked.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kenny

These last few are trying, aren't they? I'm about to pull out my hair over the boy on the rocking horse. I mentioned to Max in another thread about us possibly working together to finish these worst ones.

If I get to upload my priest, I'd be happy to work with this one. When they end up with a painted look I use that technique I talked about in another thread where I make a copy of the restored one with the original sandwiched in between and overlay the top layer..etc. 

It always helps mine when they end up looking off on the skin tones and details. I just looked and I can't find that thread where I described that technique... :'(

Let me know and I'll give it a go.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny & Kiska

The thread you couldn't find is in  "Glenna's Latest Challenge."  The "sandwich" technique worked wonderfully to return the photo to a more natural look.

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)