• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thoughts with Craig, Tess, and Family

Started by Mhayes, June 10, 2012, 11:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

One day at a time.  What wonderful progress has been made.   :loveit:
Candice

Tess (Tassie D)

Still on the ventilator today. I met with the head burns surgeon yesterday morning and had a good look at the burns on his arms and hand to see the areas they were concerned with.
After much talk and soul searching I agreed to allow the grafts to be done today even though I know Craig would have said no if he was awake. They are almost full thickness so he would have been months healing without the grafts and a lot longer in hospital. He is first into surgery after lunch so will be back in ICU for the night and hopefully off the vent on tomorrow.
Then he will go to the burns ward for 4 days and if all goes well and he is strong enough to go home we will be outa here.

They lightened his sedative quite a bit today so each time I spoke he would nod or shake his head. I got a definite big nod and tears from him when I asked if he'd missed me. He doesn't remember I've been there all day, every day. He wont really obey the nurses so I just ask him to do what they want lol.

Than you all for keeping us in your prayers
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Thank you for keeping us informed.   :loveit:
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Tess,

Just got in from mowing and did a quick check to see if there was an update from you.

I have no doubt you did the right thing and even though Craig will want to get the heck out of the hospital asap, having the skin graft will speed the recovery of his burns. My next door neighbor's daughter had a grease fire and ended up having part of it land on her foot and suffered severe burns. The doctor didn't think it was serious enough and she ended up in a lot of pain and a burn that was forever trying to heal. Later the doctor said that he wished then that he had advised a skin graft. You are saving Craig months of slow healing and worse pain.

I hope all goes well and you will be able to leave in four days. All of us are pulling for you and all you have to do is see that the number of hits has now reached 676 and it goes higher every day. A big hug to you, Bethany, and the rest of the family.

:hug:

P.S. I accidentally had Angela Ellis on a team email and told her what was going on and here is her reply:
Thanks for letting me know about Tess' husband. Please give them our best.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Tess,

Thanks for your report.  After reading Margie's story about the neighbour I feel relieved that you decided to go for the skin grafts.  In regards to the procedure I can add that that I have have very good experience in my family.  My mother had one done when she was close to 80 years old and the healing afterwards was remarkably fast.  The discomfort from the area where they took the skin was also minimal.

Please take good care of yourself Tess, you and your family are always on our mind.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Thanks everyone. After insisting on seeing the areas they wanted to graft I agree they needed it. Still on the ventilator as this pneumonia is being very stubborn.
He had his skin grafts today which is why he is still on the vent. His oxygen levels hate the anaesthetic so he had his 6th chest xray and bronchoscopy this afternoon. His face is nearly healed would you believe, looks like a good sunburn now. His blisters on his lips are nearly gone too.

They will try to get him off the vent tomorrow as 14 days is the absolute maximum they want someone on it. Then he can get up and move around though he will be as weak as a kitten to start with.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Moving around even when week will help those lungs clear.  Xing fingers and toes for a good today and a wonderful tomorrow.

Candice

Mhayes

Tess, that's good news! The more you tell. the more it seems like Craig had a very close call! Look forward to hearing he is off the ventilator and up and walking around.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Tess,

Glad to hear of Craig's progress. It is never fast enough but it is better than no progress at all.

Johnboy

glennab

Tess, checking up on you and Craig to see how things are going.  I think you're spot on to keep him sedated for a while longer, especially if he's having trouble with pneumonia. He needs to be watched very carefully by doctors and nurses if he had burns to his throat in addition to that complication.  It must be hell to not be able to talk to him, but intense work on his burns now will be worth it if it'll save him more agony in the long run.

I hope you're taking care of yourself.  I'm sending Craig more air hugs and angels, and a basket full of air chocolate and hugs to you.  You're in my heart constantly.  I'm so concerned about you and your whole family, but it seems that things are looking up, and the best thing is to hang on to everything positive that you can.

Hang in there, my friend.  Many hugs.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Tess, today is the big day that Craig will come off the vent, I hope all went well.  Now Craig can breathe on his own and start clearing his lungs.

Hope you are coping OK,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

We are STILL waiting. Some drongo of a Dr came round this afternoon and said 'you know he has pneumonia'! Uh, duh!!! I said yes, I've known longer than you have. He needs to be up and around to get better. All he said was maybe tomorrow.

Physio guy came round today and even he wants him off the vent. He said he couldn't get Craig to take big breaths. I said how many do you want and tell me when. He said ok you try then. The first big one set off every alarm the machines had and I asked was that big enough? So after his lung exercises his numbers were the best they've been.

Only time I get to tell him what to do and he wont remember it
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Hell, Tess, don't you know it takes a woman to get things done right???  ::)
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

I am not going to disagree with that.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

I hope after that it won't be long before Craig is off the vent. By now word should be circulating that you don't suffer fools lightly. As far a evidence I would suggest taking some video of you giving orders to refresh his memory at a later point in time.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]