• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Light the candles

Started by bjtx, May 29, 2012, 02:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjtx

This has been in the gallery so long.  I haven't requested it yet -- & might not.  Since there are usually  helpful suggestions for  difficult images, I am posting this composite of screen captures for help in developing a plan of action.
All suggestions, comments & posted examples are welcome -
Hopefully, this thread will bring forth the insight needed,  & will encourage someone to request it at long last :)    ---  even if it is me :crazy:.
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

kiska

Just testing the forum layout.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Betty, I don't think this is an unrestorable, but it'll be one heck of a challenge.  There'll have to be some  hair creation, because the middle girl's hair is gone.  The white splotch is a tear, so there is no image to be had at all.  The faces are all there, and I think with some judicious use of dodging and burning, the darks and brights could be brought into balance. The rest would be a matter of cloning and healing the rest of the debris and damage.  It appears that the important parts of the image are there (the cake, the faces, etc.), so a brave soul could give it a try. My opinion is that this one would be worth the effort.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

bjtx

The area which concerns me most is the upper & middle left side.  Suggestions for that area would be very helpful.

(thanks for your earlier reply, GK)
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 

Mhayes

BJTX,

I really can't tell on the left hand side by going into each channel. I think what I would do is make it look like the back of the head of the one putting the candles on---it may look strange to have her head up instead of down as she is doing it. I would leave the woman at the far top left hand side. That leaves the one blond head that even though it doesn't add anything, it will keep you from having to replace it. I guess it comes down to fudging that part.  :wow:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Playing around with a Threshold layer in CMYK mode, it seems that the head of the lady lighting candles is in the area I've shaded in red below, and the rest of the area on the upper left background is the lady in the back on the left. It doesn't look like there was much detail in that area which is a good thing in this case.

head by Tori803, on Flickr
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

bjtx

Since the blond hair doesn't add anything (except distraction), would removing it be an option? In place of the blond hair - does adding to the blue sweater & filling in above it with dark clothing sound acceptable, (since the upper left person seems to be dressed in black)?

Thanks for the interest & comments, Margie & Tori