• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

VBRestorer could use some advice

Started by VBrestorer, October 13, 2006, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VBrestorer

I need some advice on this one.  First some background:  I am using PhotoShop Elements 2.0, am not very experienced (yet) with photo restoration, and this is one of two OPR photos I am working on.  Also, I've never tried inserting a picture from PhotoBucket into a forum message, so bear with me.
Here, hopefully, is the original photo image and the one with my changes to date:

So far I've cleaned up the central part of the image, rebuilt some of the baby's right hand, added missing outline of the "North Pole" sign, added back the missing/damaged portion of Santa's left arm, increased detail to the cuff of Santa's left sleeve, and added detail to the young boy's left pant leg.
My problem is I can't discern any detail from the damaged bottom portion of the photo from about Santa's knuckles down.  My guess it that Santa is holding the young boy at his crotch, and that the boy's left leg overlaps Santa's hand at about Santa's knuckles.  I think that the dark spot below Santa's knuckles is some of the young boy's shoe.
My question is:  Should I recreate the bottom portion of the photo based on what I think should be there, and guess as to shoe color, position, etc., or should I just crop the bottom portion out?
Similarly, is it worth it to rebuild the background or replace it with a beige one that I create if I can save details such as the North Pole sign and the two vertical stripes on the wall?
Any advice would be appreciated.  I know there are numerous other problems that I need to fix (contrast, etc.), but I want to do the "big stuff" first.
Oh, one more thing:  how do I put tabs in my forum messages to lead off each paragraph?
Thanks in advance.

Kenny

That's a toughie.

I'm not sure what all Elements is capable of doing, but a level adjustment will bring the colors back.

I would just clean up the wall using the clone tool to get the big damage out, then the healing brush to bring back the texture.

The main part of the image looks really good. I would try to fix the legs and feet of the kids and see how it looks. I looked in the channels but didn't find any information that would help  :( . 

As for the paragraph tabs, I just tried it and when you hit tab it doesn't work (but you already knew that. I did this one by putting in 5 spaces. I wouldn't worry about indents too much on a forum, we're a forgiving crowd when it comes to things like that  :funny:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

paula

I have a wonderful  "hand' that would work well here. :funny:  I'll send it to you f you'd like.

Kenny

Yes, you can always count on one of us giving you a hand  :funny:

But why is the rum gone?

Dave

Sorry to be the bad guy and I appreciate the fact that everyone wants to turn out the best images possible, but using a "strange" body part goes against the guidelines that were set up when OPR was created.

Please keep the guidelines in mind when working on these photos. Preservation of the memory that the image invokes is first and foremost. This restoration has already achieved that goal in the work that VB has already accomplished.

Adding in a strangers hand may make for an overall stronger restoration, but it taints the true memory of this picture. Uncle Bob's hand is not Uncle Bob's hand unless it is Uncle Bob's hand. It's better to leave some damage then to add what doesn't belong.

VB, for only being an Elements user, you are doing incredible work here. Thanks so much for helping.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Dave

VB,

I would also add that it would be acceptable to crop out the majority of the edge damage in this photo. You'd still be able to maintain the overall integrity while saving yourself a ton of work.

There would still be some leftover damage along the outer edges, but judging from the skills you've already shown, I would say that it would be an easy fix for you.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

VBrestorer

Thanks, Kenny and Paula, for the feedback; Kenny for the suggestions, Paula for the "hand", and Kenny for the subsequent quip.

And thanks, Dave, for the kind words and a definitive answer.  I don't mind doing the tedious work, but any time I spend unnecessarily on this one is time I'm not spending on my other photos.

Regarding PhotoShop Elements 2, from what I've seen mentioned in the various forum messages so far, the only things Elements 2.0 doesn't have that PhotoShop CS does is a Curves capability and a Healing Brush.  I'm sure there are many other features of PhotoShop CS missing from Elements, but they are probably seldom, if ever, needed for photo restoration.  Elements is up to version 5 now so may have both of the mentioned features.  When I decided to wean myself off of Corel PhotoPaint in favor of PhotoShop, the industry standard, I could get PhotoShop Elements 2.0 for around $50 or PhotoShop proper (I don't think they had a 'CS' offering at that time) for about $600 -- it was a no-brainer for me.  I found a Curves tool plug-in with a Channel Mixer function at www.earthbound light.com that works well.  I also found a Color Replacer tool at www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads which I have yet to fully master, but holds promise.  Both plug-ins are free.

So Paula, thanks for the offer of a hand, but I guess I won't be needing it.  (It was a good fit, though.)  As Dave suggests, I'll gently crop the photo's edges, then do my best to restore what's left.

Thanks, again, to all.

VBrestorer (Larry)

glennab

Hi Larry

You've done a wonderful job on this restoration.  I wanted to offer kudos for the great effort.  I'm glad Dave gave you the okay to do some cropping, because a lot of the edge background is superfluous.  As a graphic designer, I love to see photos cropped in such a way that the main focus (Santa, Mom & the kids) are the focus.

We don't often do that, because we want to maintain the integrity of the original. 

Anyway, obviously you're a tremendous asset to the organization.  I'm glad you've joined the crew.

And you handled Kenny's "quip" with much grace.  Kenny -- you're a card!

Best wishes!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)