• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glenna's Latest Challenge

Started by glennab, October 10, 2006, 08:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Okay troops

"Penelope the perfectionist" is still not sure this is good enough, but I need feedback.  I'm concerned that I'm working it to death. Please let me know what you think.  Thanks a bunch.  GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Glenna, I think you are trying to pull to much out of it, that lady is getting a awful case of sunburn on her neck and chest, it is easy to try for too much, I know you would like the faces better, but it is hard to get faces right in hi-res images where you have more pixels to play with, I would go with the last version you posted before this one.

Regards,

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Max

I'm wondering if I should just adjust the color on the woman's face & hands.  She actually looks as if she has a tan in the photo.  What concerns me is that I've actually gotten a bit of shape on the faces and hands, and I hate to lose that.  I used Kenny's suggestion, which worked wonderfully in that respect, but my colors got a bit funky.  I think that's a hazard of too many layers, and the way they interact with each other. Other than the tan, does everything else work?

Have a wonderful day!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glenna, try lowering the saturation. I played with the picture and opened the Hue/Saturation and lowered it by about 30. Try that and see if that's what you're after.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

kiska

Since my computer is not a 'monster', I work on 5-6 layers, then dupe that image flat, close and save  the layered image. Then work on the smaller file; makes for a happier mac. 8) I've had 8-10 layered files of one image saved at times.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi kiska

I do the same thing with my layered files.  I have probably 12 versions of just this one restoration.  Took lots of layers to do the drapes, then when done, I flattened them all.   But I've found that there are some very strange interactions among layers, even if there are just 4 or 5, and I haven't been able to figure out what's up.  I'm still learning the ins and outs of my Mac Pro, so there may be something going on between Photoshop and the operating system.

I keep all versions  of my restoration work, then save them all to a disk when done so I have an archive.

Kenny, I'll try the saturation this evening and see what I get.  Thanks!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

glenna, you probably know this, but if you have layers with various blends, opacities; merging one or two togather won't work.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kenny

Kiska, you just brought up something I've also wondered about. I see lots of people say "flatten" an image. Are you actually using the flatten image command or Merge visible? I rarely use flatten image anymore personally. In fact, I can't think of why I would use it at all. Merge visible does almost the exact same thing, only without the problems that come with just flattening layers.

Settle my curiosity for me :P

But why is the rum gone?

kiska

Flatten=merges all visible layers into the bottommost layer and discards hidden layers.
Merge visible= you can merge layers into the active layer and still have those indiviual layers intact.

A trick you probably know about merge visible. Create a new empty layer, make that active, then shift+option+command+e (mac). This will merge all the layers into the empty one and still leave all others there.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kenny

I'll have to investigate that trick. I use a PC so I'm not sure what the commands would be. Sounds look a good trick, though.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kiska -- I was trying to remember that little trick a couple of evenings ago.  I knew there was a way to retain the layers and still merge them as a separate flattened one.  I definitely need to write that down.  Thanks!

Any time I've used just merge visible, I've ended up with a layer that incorporates those layers, but they're no longer separate. They're on a single new layer that's the name of the selected layer.  Anything not visible is, of course, still in individual layers.

I think you nailed my problem with the funky colors.  I didn't realize that merging layers with different properties would create problems.  Do you have to flatten the whole file?  Or does that even work?

What a complex program!  There must be a hundred ways to do the same thing

My job entails working with pristine photos, so I don't have to do much color correcting or using layer effects -- at least not to the degree we do on the restorations.  Most of my work is combining photos and just general color correction for artistic effect.  A lot of these techniques are relatively new to me, so I certainly appreciate all the feedback!

Hugs for all your help!

GG

Kenny -- try shift-alt-control-e.  I think that is comparable to the Mac command.

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Glenna, when you DO have different properties on several layers, you have to flatten to make them look 'right'. That's why that merge visible trick is so nifty. It,in effect, flattens all the layers on the new empty layer, but still keeps the individual layers intact.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi kiska

I suspected that, and just couldn't remember the keyboard commands to try it.  I'm usually working on these late at night, and am not patient enough to go into my reference books or "help" to look things up.  I guess I'd better start taking the time!  Thanks for verifying that information, though.  It's a valuable technique!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Comments?  Critique?  Laughter?  Quips?  I'll take whatever I can get.

I lost my last file, so had to recreate.  Hope this is an improvement. (Yawn!!)  GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glenna, I think it looks Superb!  :up:

It's a nice clean image with really nice, rich color. I'd send it home  :loveit:

But why is the rum gone?