• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Not sure about colors

Started by GP, March 02, 2012, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

This is my other picture I am currently working on. Margie sent me a note that the strong yellow cast was caused by the copy lights. This is what I came up with:

I think the baby's skin color looks still muddy and I am also not sure if the jumper should be yellow or white. I created also a black&white version, but I still think the original was in color.
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

Mhayes

GP, I think you have the colors right and yes, the baby's skin looks muddy and the only good place looks like a small strip above the sock on your right side.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Gerlinde, I agree with you and Margie that this photos has color.  I looked at some other portrait shots taken at the same time:

I think the shoot was in B/W and then one photo was enlarged and colorized.  I don't think you have too worry too much about the colors as the colorizing was done badly.
(I would love to see a good colorized photo, do they exist?  :))

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

GP

Thank you Hannie!

I like how you got rid of most of the magenta I ended up with after correcting for the yellow cast. Your skin tones look better too.

This is a tricky one. Maybe I should go for B/W and re-colorize  :huh:

Hannie

Gerlinde, what you can try for skin tone is a Selective Color Adjustment layer with
Reds:  cyan -99 and magenta -45
Whites:  black -21

The black and white version looks much better but the owner will want the colorized version too.  There is a tutorial somewhere on the forum that explains how colorize using gradients.  I remember trying it, seemed like a lot of work but the results were so much better than what you see on these studio photos.

Good luck with your restore!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Pat, you are a gem! 
That is the tut I was thinking of, I didn't do much of it but I remember that it surprised me how well it worked.  I seem to remember it was a lot of work, will have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks so much,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

HellZiggy

Quote from: Hannie on March 03, 2012, 08:39:25 AM

(I would love to see a good colorized photo, do they exist?  :))

Hannie

I would have said no before seeing these colorized photos: http://www.buzzfeed.com/burnred/famous-old-photos-colorized-281t

Hannie

Very nice Sharon, guess I have to revise my opinion on colorization!    :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

GP

This is what I came up with, I refrained from re-colorizing.

Hannie

Gerlinde, you did a great job!

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Gerlinde,

What an improvement!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

A very nice job on this Gerlinde.   I am very impressed with what you were able to do.

Mike
Mike S.

GP

It makes me happy that you like the outcome of this restoration  :loveit:

Pat and Hannie, I looked at the link for the re-colorizing tutorial. I think it looks very natural. I have to try it one of these days, but I am not sure if I understand the whole process.

Hannie

Gerlinde, I tried the tutorial and the instructions are not always clear, especially the luminosity mask.
Basically you change the image mode to Lab.
For CS5, after you add the Hue/saturation adjustment layer and trash the mask (and set Saturaton to -100):
ctrl+alt+2
click add layer mask button
from Image pull down menu: Adjustments-> Curves and then pick preset Ed's Sat Mask

Then you can add your color layers underneath the Hue/saturations layers.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]