• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Day's Catch

Started by Pat, February 19, 2012, 10:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Hi Everyone,

What a wonderful moment was captured in this photo from Jonas gallery.  Please take a look and let me know if you find any areas that need more attention.

Original:

WIP:

Thank you!
Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Pat, I think you have done a great job on restoring this one. The quality of the photo even corrected had to be a real challenge. The only thing that catches my eye is the fan looking object between the man and the boy's leg. It is visible on all three channels, but I believe it is damage and not a fish's tail. I don't see if it is a fish anything that looks like the rest of the fish. I would also be tempted to tone down the red on the one fish the smallest boy is holding. Other than that, great repair!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Margie I pondered that "fan looking object" long and hard during the restoration process and came to the same conclusion as you only to end up leaving it in thinking it's got to be a connected to a fish somewhere in there. :D  I didn't want to cheat the guys out of a fish, but I think you are right and I've removed it.  I've also toned down the red on the fish the smallest boy is holding.

WIP2:

Thank you,
Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Pat,

Much better, I like it! I even wondered if the fish could have flipped its tail and that would have accounted for the double image. If the owner misses the fish, it will now have to be the one that got away courtesy of OPR.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great job Pat!
This is a lovely photo, these boys sure caught a lot of fish.  What are they, catfish?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Thanks Margie, Hannie.  I have to confess Hannie that I don't know my fish –and that probably accounts for the reason I was tempted to leave that "fan looking object" in the first WIP. :D  Mike says it's hard to tell because of the definition but they look to him like catfish.   
Pat

schen

Margie,

I have to disagree with you on this photo.  I don't think the fan-shaped object is damage and I think that special fish was red.  I see different types of fish in the picture.  Those dark ones with big head look like catfish.  I can't tell about the others.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

Thank you Shujen for your observations.  I do still have a copy of my first WIP so that is not an issue, I just don't know what to upload to Jonas.  Maybe I could upload both and let the family decide?  Any other opinions on this?

Pat
Pat

pic-dr

Quote from: schen on February 20, 2012, 09:27:07 AM
Margie,

I have to disagree with you on this photo.  I don't think the fan-shaped object is damage and I think that special fish was red.  I see different types of fish in the picture.  Those dark ones with big head look like catfish.  I can't tell about the others.

Shujen

I have to agree with Shujen on this one. There are indeed different kinds of fish shown on this picture, and even with the same species it is not unusual for the colors to vary from fish to fish. I have seen a catfish called a "sail catfish" which has a fin that looks like a sail. I didn't know that there were freshwater sail cats, but several kinds of catfish can survive in freshwater, brackish (salty) water and even seawater, so anything is possible. It definitely looks like either a fish tail or fin though to me.
The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Pat,

Go ahead an upload both restores and let QC decide and perhaps use both. I have no doubt that there are different kinds of fish with different coloration, but when I see how the photo has taken out a really deep brownish tone from the damage, it would appear that the fish got more of a reddish cast from it. As to the extra fin, it could be from an additional fish, but when you have a chunk showing no connection to the rest of the fish and also by the curve of the fin it should have connected somewhere--even if hidden. Right now it looks like a piece floating in mid-air. I think to leave it looks funny and gives the impression the photo wasn't fully restored.

If it is another fish and we are only seeing the tail, than I would have tail curves right and also have the tail of the fish next to it concealing part of it. As it stands now that piece of tail is in front and has a small portion that is in front of its neighbor. Hope this makes sense.  :D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Margie,  you could be right.  I just checked with my fishing friend and he thought they were all catfish.  I am more familiar with fish when they are in the grocery store.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Pat

Makes perfect sense Margie. 

Thanks everyone for your observations!

Pat
Pat