• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

MintonS24 Review

Started by Rbm, February 11, 2012, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbm

Greetings,

This 4 x 5 image came from Tess's gallery.  I think I'm finished with it.  Did I overlook something or misinterpret something?

Thanks,
Richard

Pat

Great job Richard; what a cute childhood remembrance!

When viewing at 100+% I think maybe I'm seeing a few yellow stains remaining on the little boy's shorts, the concrete (in the shadowed foreground area),  the cup, the girl's shoe, and possibly the outside edge of her shorts (right side as you are looking at her).

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hi Richard,

What a beautiful restore and a really terrific photo. At first glance you would miss the bubbles.

It looks like lately we are getting some house reapairs with Sandi on bricks and you on siding. This is a small pick, but what strikes me the most about the outside of the house is how flat it is. By flat, I mean the transition between highlights and shadows. Look at your upper left hand side by the door and it is a lot darker at the top than at the bottom. Also under the door you will see some shadows. If you look at original after color correcting you will see how the sun is hitting the top of the girl's head and also part of the door.

I took a water color class one time and what the instructor had us do was have one B/W of our work and the other in color. If a painting looked flat it was because the tone throughout the painting had no variation. In our case we have to stay close to the original and usually you will see how this variation adds to the depth of the photo.

You still have some damage on the door on your left above the handle. I think it should go up straight and not have a curve. I am curious about the door and the curtains. I think the curves you see are from the curtains and not the frame of the door, but you might be right on that one. In the original you will see the bluish color of the curtains as they are in the shadows.

These are minor pics on a very beautiful photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Richard, did you do a color correction first? I think the outer door (storm door?) is black and the inner door (appears ajar), brown. The color correction really shows the tonal range.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Rbm

Greetings,

How's this new version.  I think I added all of Pat, Kiska and Margie's suggestions.

Thanks for the input,
Richard

Pat

Hi Richard, it looks much better!  

One thing does seem to stand out and that is the bottom panel of the screen door (with the X design and lots of texture) does not match the frame surrounding it (no texture at all).  You want to keep as much original texture in both doors as possible.  I am assuming the panel with the X design is part of the screen door and not the inner door because it does not match the perspective of the inner door which is ajar.  In any event that panel does not currently look like a match for either the inner door or the screen door.      

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

It looks to me that behind the screen door is one of those lovely old Dutch (no pun intended) doors with the top part ajar and the bottom part closed.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Hannie, that's so clever!  I bet you are right.

Pat
Pat

Rbm

Greetings,

When I first looked at the original image I thought the salt & pepper pattern on the X-panel was damage.  I decided it was really just the result of looking at that part of the interior door through the exterior door screen.

Thanks Pat and Hannie.

Richard

Pat

I think you are probably right Richard.  Wonderful job; it look beautiful :up:

Pat
Pat