• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

difficulties

Started by philbach, February 01, 2012, 08:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

phil

philbach

I uploaded this photo to photobucket to be reviewed on the forum here.  It was dramatically changed from the original after I uploaded it to photobucket.  So I uploaded the same photo to flickr.  The top photo was the finished photo for review posted on photobucket.  The second photo was the original photo uploaded on flickr.  The bottom photo was the finished photo uploaded on flikr.  ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philbach/6800855949/

BettassoJ_13_8_3pt5x5 by philbach, on Flickr

Finished by philbach, on Flickr
phil

Mhayes

Hi Phil,

I think your problem is your color profile. There maybe a chance that PhotoBucket ignored your profile or doesn't read the color space of ProPhoto RGB. Here is the dialog box I get when I downloaded your photo from the forum.

It's a little hard to read the screen print that says: The document "Finished .jpg" does not have an embedded RGB profile.

This is the dialog box I get when I download the photo you have on Flckr.

This is much better, but her skin should be fairer and not so red.

If a photo doesn't have an embedded profile, then the colors are going to be off as the program will be flying blind. This maybe a case you didn't have an embedded profile or it could be that PhotoBucket does not read ProPhoto RGB. That is a very good color space, but you would be safer going to Edit>convert to profile and picking sRGB. That is why all of are photos are in sRGB, because unless you go to a professional print shop, that is the profile it is going to print at. I open all my OPR photos and then click the box that I want to work in Adobe RGB. When I finish I go up to Edit>Convert to Profile and change back to sRGB as that is what it will be sent out for printing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks Margie.  You saved me a lot of grief, pain, and suffering.  I did assign a srgb profile to the photo and after uploading it again to photobucket the colors appeared to be ok.  Recently, I did change my color profile settings in photoshop to Prophoto RGB to make use of the larger color space when working with 16 bit files etc and sort of got off the track.
phil

philbach

Well I did convert the photo to SRGB and uploaded it back to photobucket after decreasing the saturation some and here is the photo for review.

phil

Bambi

Phil, you have done an amazing job restoring this lovely portrait. This was difficult from many angles and you've done beautiful work.

Tiniest finishing suggestions: there is a harsh line near her right (our left) eyebrow. Patch tool can soften it a little. I'd also use it to smooth the reddish noise on her chin, throat and arm.

Exceptional work on this one.

Bambi

Mhayes

Phil, glad that helped. What a great job you have done on this one. Her skin color is much better. I think her hair has more of a reddish cast judging from her eyebrows. Perhaps, see if you can bring a just few strands of darker hair coming down on her bangs on your right. Minor pics on a difficult photo.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks, Bambi and Margie.
phil

glennab

Phil, I wanted to add my kudos to Bambi's and Margie's.  You did a lovely job on this young lady.  Talk about turning lemons into lemonade! Wonderful!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

philbach

phil

Hannie

Phil, what a beautiful repair job, this was a very difficult restore!

I am a little late but I believe the tendon in her neck doesn't quite show all the way to her jaw line?
Also I wonder if a little more contrast is necessary? (it will make the background a little dark)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Oh boy, interesting.  Hannie I can see where you made the upper part of the SCM less visible.  At any rate, I downloaded what you posted and yes you and I are on using the same color space sRGB. Thank you very much, Margie.  I took the photo that I posted and copied the layer and used screen blending mode at 30% opacity which lightened it up some that is all I did.  I then placed color samplers on her right shoulder to compare Hannie's version with mine.  Hannie, I believe your version has a slight yellow cast.  That sort of brings us around to skin color.  I'll await some responses before I do the official upload.  I appreciate everyone's help.
Phil

phil

schen

Phil,  Nice work.  I think Hannie is closer for SCM.  The two parts of SCM are separated below mid-neck but merged together above mid-neck.  From the original, I can see the distinctive sternal head that disappeared about a quarter of the length up to the ear.  Below the ear and behind the jaw, there is a little hint of SCM with the direction toward the clavicle.  I hope I did not get too technical.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

kiska

OOOOOOOOOOOOO, Shujen!!!! You sho' do talk sexy!!!!!  :D
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Schen looking at the original it appears that the SCM is visible near its origin on the mastoid, but that may be an artifact.  Good point.
phil