• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Star Wars

Started by pic-dr, January 30, 2012, 12:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic-dr

OK, here's the original and the wip. I was told not to paint on this job, to use the clone and healing brushes instead. The couch and pillow look flat and artificial though, and the buttons are gone. Will I have to start from scratch, or is there some way to repair it?

The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr

jesterjeni

try adjusting the hue and saturation of the original couch to bring some color inti it without making it look painted....beautiful so far!!

Hannie

Great job Larry!

One thing stands out to me and that is the couch.  Some of the upholstery seems to have disappeared/changed in your restore.  It would be great if you could go back to the original and try to repair only what is damaged? 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

The restored wall looks clean now.  The original couch had only the low left corner damaged.  You might want to leave the rest alone.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mike S.

Good morning Larry,

Your restore is starting to look nice.  The left side of the wall could use the spotting brush to even it up including at the very edge.  The original couch has a lot more detail see the example below.  You want to restore so it looks like the original as much as possible. 

Mike

Mike S.

pic-dr

Quote from: Hannie on January 30, 2012, 06:31:42 AM
Great job Larry!

One thing stands out to me and that is the couch.  Some of the upholstery seems to have disappeared/changed in your restore.  It would be great if you could go back to the original and try to repair only what is damaged?  

Hannie

Yep, I agree, that couch bothers me also. I will start again and this time try to maintain as much detail in the couch as possible. This fix only took 2 hours, no big deal to re-do it better this time.

pic-dr

pic-dr

Quote from: schen on January 30, 2012, 10:14:34 AM
The restored wall looks clean now.  The original couch had only the low left corner damaged.  You might want to leave the rest alone.

Thanks Schen, I agree and will re-do it to keep the good portions of the couch, particularly the buttons.

pic-dr

pic-dr

Quote from: Mike S. on January 30, 2012, 10:55:49 AM
Good morning Larry,

Your restore is starting to look nice.  The left side of the wall could use the spotting brush to even it up including at the very edge.  The original couch has a lot more detail see the example below.  You want to restore so it looks like the original as much as possible. 

Mike

Thanks Mike, I agree, I'll redo it and preserve the couch details.

pic-dr

pic-dr

Quote from: Hannie on January 30, 2012, 06:31:42 AM
Great job Larry!

One thing stands out to me and that is the couch.  Some of the upholstery seems to have disappeared/changed in your restore.  It would be great if you could go back to the original and try to repair only what is damaged? 

Hannie

Thanks Hannie, that's exactly what I'll do. :-)

pic-dr

Mhayes

Larry, I agree with the others on needing to keep detail in the couch. You have done great on the rest and the color correction is spot on. This photo had plenty of good detail in the sofa, but all it needed, except for damage in the lower left corner, is to have the sofa's detail and color brought back. You do not want to paint in this detail. I'm not sure about Elements 10 Toolbox, but see if you have the "Burn" and "Dodge" tool. I never liked this tool, but Adobe has made some real improvements and in this case it works great. Pick the "Burn" tool and go over sofa as needn't over do it.  :)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pic-dr

Quote from: Mhayes on January 30, 2012, 12:53:38 PM
Larry, I agree with the others on needing to keep detail in the couch. You have done great on the rest and the color correction is spot on. This photo had plenty of good detail in the sofa, but all it needed, except for damage in the lower left corner, is to have the sofa's detail and color brought back. You do not want to paint in this detail. I'm not sure about Elements 10 Toolbox, but see if you have the "Burn" and "Dodge" tool. I never liked this tool, but Adobe has made some real improvements and in this case it works great. Pick the "Burn" tool and go over sofa as needn't over do it.  :)

Margie

Hi Margie,

Yes, Elements 10 has the dodge and burn tools (click and hold the smudge button to reveal them) but I have not tried them yet. I'll experiment with them and see if I can fix it without re-doing the whole thing. If not, I'll start again and try to get it right from scratch. I'll be at PT this AM but will work on it this afternoon. Thanks to all for your help!

pic-dr

pic-dr

Hi everyone!

I decided to start from the beginning in order to salvage as much of the original image as possible. The result is what you see here. Please critique and let me know what improvements can be made.

Thanks!
Larry

pic-dr

Hannie

Larry, I forgot to tell you to remove the embedded personal information on your photos before posting to the forum.
This link will tell you exactly how to do that.

Thanks,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Much, much better. Isn't Photoshop fun?

Bambi

Mhayes

Nice job Larry!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"