• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Boy's portrait

Started by corpusdei, January 29, 2012, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corpusdei

Rev pa1.  This one's (initially) coming along fairly nicely.

Original:

Went through a levels correction with a threshold layer and found the white, black, and grey points.  Because there isn't a lot of background detail in this one, it seemed like a good chance to finally try damage correction using a frequency separation method (separating color and detail into separate layers).  Went through erasing and blurring some of the damage on the detail layer.  I can certainly see the usefulness of a frequency separation, but I noticed that his skin looked very airbrushed afterwards.  I jury rigged some skin texture (50% grey layer, liner light, add noise and emboss), but I'm not completely satisfied, so that might take some additional correction.

WIP:

Notes:
- It may be worth reducing the size of the skin texture layer to make the texture a shade less obvious. 
- There's some dust and scratch items that should be fairly easily removed with either the patch or healing brush.
- The background smudges should be removable by either replacing the background with a slight gradient or cloning the damage spots out. 
- The eye on the left will probably be replaceable by duplicating the eye on the right and distorting it slightly to give it the right perspective.
- The ear ... not so much.  That 's probably going to need to be manually recreated.
- Need to even out the skintones on the cheek on the left - tried to do some skintone painting on the color layer, but it ended up a bit blotchy.  Blending them into a more cheakbone-y shade should work better.
- The jawline will probably be a lot of color and detail work, with some shadows  for perspective.
- The shirt doesn't seem to show a lot of texture in the undamaged portions of the original, but it'll still be more than a quick C&P job.
- The soundtrack for this restore is turning into a lot of 16 Horsepower and Saltillo, a break from my usual Oakenfold and Front Line Assembly. 
16 Horsepower - Straw Foot - http://bit.ly/17kC5q
Saltillo - A Necessary End - http://bit.ly/bFugD7
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity."

corpusdei

Some small spot removal, plus copied the eye on the right, flipped, warped a little and blended into the left side.  Removed one of the white flash spots in the iris, but that's not looking right, so I'll likely re-add and just reposition so it doesn't look quite as shopped.

Good enough for government work and enough progress to call it for the evening.  It's martini time.
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity."

schen

You certainly picked an easy one to work on!

When you mirror the eye, the left eye is looking to the right and the right eye is looking the left.  I have maintained the outline of his right eye and copied the pupil and white without mirroring.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

corpusdei

Wow, I'm having trouble hearing you over the sound of how awesome you are. 

That's definitely an improvement, many thanks for catching that!  Amazing how much difference that makes - I'll have to remember that one.

battleaxe

Hi,
   Re: skin that looks plastic after repair.  If you add a small amount of noise (1-2% uniform) the plastic look disappears.

corpusdei

*nods*  I was looking at that this morning.  Even with some added noise it still looks more glamour shot than I'm liking.  I think a big part of it is what I was doing with the frequency separation - I can definitely tell how it can be a really useful method for some things, but it also makes it really easy to wash out detail and end up with the photoshop equivalent of repairing a pocket watch with a hammer and chisel  :-\.

I'm probably going to back up a little bit and either take another approach or try tweaking the detail layer on a smaller scale.  One thing I noticed was that the patch tool seems to work very well in that case, and you don't end up with some of the same discoloration sometimes.