• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glamour Shot--WIP need advice

Started by pic-dr, January 21, 2012, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Hello Larry,

It is starting to look good.  Take a look at Margie's post on the man's arm.   The background transition is too harsh.  Another thing when you are finished, do another levels correction for color.  I did a quick and dirty example using levels to correct the color and using the spot tool to blend the background.

I see Margie has already posted on levels but I will post my example anyway.  I know you have  both levels and spot with Photoplus.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike S.

pic-dr

Thanks Mike, I agree with you on the background and will smooth it out. I just got PS Elements 8 and that made a tremendous difference fixing the colors--I was astounded that I could correct it with 2 clicks! Now I've just got to figure out the spot tool to blend the background and I should be ready to post the latest WIP.

Thanks again,
Larry
The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr

jesterjeni

like anything,keep in mind that learning takes time.....I think you have done a wonderfull job so far....
I have been pouring myself into book after book learning about channels and masks,as well as how to retouch photo's with a "glamour"effect...
I have been restoring and retouching pictures for about the last 13 years....I am still always learning, I have picked up a wealth of information here reading the forums , the wonderful thing about being a part of opr is that there is a support system people from all over the world right here in one place, always willing to teach and guide us to the best possible result.

pic-dr

Hi Jesterjeni

I'm starting to realize just how little I know about this art. I've only been at this for 3 yrs, very part-time learning on my own from the Gimp, and then Photo Plus X4 on my own family pics. I've just gotten Elements and what an amazing program that is! And yes, the help here is nothing short of phenomenal, everyone has been so great about helping find my mistakes--and how to correct them. I will be taking my time learning all there is to know about Elements and how it works--I've already several differences between the way it works compared to Photo Plus.

To my unpracticed eye, this latest version looks too blue, I actually preferred it warmer overall. And one more question--can one use the clone tool on a very small area, then increase the brush size to fill larger areas like the man's suit, or does that affect the clone negatively?

pic-dr

lurch

Larry,

The man's sleeve still needs improvement. Suits are sort of stiff; the line of the sleeve top should be much straighter. Also, and this is a minor pic, the ladies dress should show some shadow/highlight detail. All in all, you've done a great job on this portrait. You're learning fast.
<C>

pic-dr

Quote from: lurch on January 24, 2012, 12:54:07 PM
Larry,

The man's sleeve still needs improvement. Suits are sort of stiff; the line of the sleeve top should be much straighter. Also, and this is a minor pic, the ladies dress should show some shadow/highlight detail. All in all, you've done a great job on this portrait. You're learning fast.

Hi lurch! I agree--I've had a very tough time trying to get the suit right, I'll straighten that line out today. Any advice on how to reconstruct the detail on the lady's blouse? Right now it looks solid black to me also. I'm not sure whether trying to pull detail from the original is the way to go, as it is covered with so much 'dust'.

Thanks for your help!

Larry

pic-dr

pic-dr

OK, here's the latest wip, added very slight amount of texture to lady's blouse, added shadow to man's lapel, tried to match the curve of the seam in man's sleeve to original, and lightened seam blended (and reduced) vignette and other minor touch ups.

Comments?

Thanks,
Larry

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Larry,

I wonder why you darkened the background so that there is no variation. You improved that after Mike's suggestion, but now it's totally different. The rest is definitely an improvement. Right now I think you are ready to upload to your distributor and get her feedback on whether it is ready to go.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

The halo around the subjects looks a little odd and shouldn't be there.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

pic-dr

Quote from: Mhayes on January 25, 2012, 11:25:28 AM
Hi Larry,

I wonder why you darkened the background so that there is no variation. You improved that after Mike's suggestion, but now it's totally different. The rest is definitely an improvement. Right now I think you are ready to upload to your distributor and get her feedback on whether it is ready to go.

Margie

Hi Margie!

I thought Mike wanted me to blend in the vignette more, that is why the 'vapor' looks so thin now. If you want me to increase the 'fog' vignette more, I can do that. The only other problem I'm having now is trying to figure out how to upload the pic.

When I go to http://opr.photoshelter.com/ and login it does not resemble what I have on the OPR PDF handbook, and there is no option to upload. It looks completely different than what I see in the handbook, and I've studied pages 8-10 carefully. All I see are the four gallery choices there.

I could use some help doing that, and also advice in which format I should send both the original and  the wip. I did save a copy of the wip in PSD format, but don't want to send it in the wrong format if I can avoid it. Of course, I received the original in JPEG and I assume they want me to send that back with the wip in it's original JPEG format.

Thanks for all your help through this rough patch,

Warm regards,
Larry

pic-dr

pic-dr

Quote from: Hannie on January 25, 2012, 12:27:27 PM
The halo around the subjects looks a little odd and shouldn't be there.

Hannie

Hi Hannie,

I thought I cut the 'halo effect' about as close as I could without color leaking into the heads, if I'm talking about the same thing you are. Are you talking about the edges where the top of the heads meet the vignette, or something else?

I'd be glad to fix whatever you think is wrong before uploading anything.

pic-dr

lurch

Larry, The man's suit sleeve is still curved. Did you forget that? To add dimension to the lady's dress, you can add a dodge and burn layer (mostly dodge, 'cause her dress is already pretty black). Let me know if you need directions for dodge and burn - there are at least three ways to accomplish that step.
<C>

Mhayes

Hi Larry,

Mike wanted you to blend the vignette like he showed at the top of the page. Your restore before Mike's had sharp edges and looked more like a cloud. The trick is to take care of the damage and keep it looking as close to the original as possible.

When you are ready to upload, a simple way is to do it while on the OPR Forum. Take a look on the left hand side (must be logged into the forum) and the second box says upload to PhotoShelter. Click on the box and it will take you to the sign in and after that will be where you browse your hard drive and upload your restore. On this link http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1851.0.html go down half way down the page and you will see an illustration of how to fill the boxes out when you upload. You want the organization box to read Operation Photo Rescue, the box under it to read "leave blank." Where you see "brief description" list the gallery where you got the photo. In this case you would put: "Bambi." Your name will automatically show up when the photo goes to the PS Archive. Wait till you hear back from your distributor, but give at least 8 hrs for a response back.

Here is a link to some of the what to do and not do: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1772.0.html  Probably on your welcome letter there would have been mentioned that you always return the photo as you got it, which means as a 300 dpi at the same dimensions, and the extension the same although you can put done at the end if you wish(Example: BellassoJ13_6_5x7done.jpg). The photo is to be returned as a jpg and in the same color mode of sRGB. If your WIP is a .psd, then do a save as .jpeg with the same name and extension as the original.

Hope that helps.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pic-dr

Hi Lurch,

I went back and looked at the original pic side by side with the wip, and matched the curve of the seam in his jacket as closely as I could. It was not straight in the orig, curved a good amount from the shoulder to the elbow, but I did straighten out the portion from his bicep to the shoulder quite a lot per your advice.

And sure, if you don't mind, I'd be happy to hear your advice on the dodge and burn bit.

Thanks,
Larry

pic-dr