• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glamour Shot--WIP need advice

Started by pic-dr, January 21, 2012, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic-dr

Hi everyone, I could use some advice on this WIP. For the most part, I think the fix is ok, but I'm having some difficulty getting the man's sleeve right, on the far right side of the pic. This is the first 'real' pic I've chosen (besides my test pic) and I will gladly accept any criticism and/or advice.

FYI, I use Photo Plus X4 and Picassa. I am hoping to have Elements before long, so that should make giving assistance easier for all.

Thanks, Larry

The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr

pic-dr

OK, I admit I hated the first attempt, the suit was the wrong color, and well it was just awful. This is still a work in progress, but I think I'm getting a bit closer. Any tips out there?  ^-^

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Larry,

I think you are doing a good job and this photo has lots of damage and will take lots of work and it will be time consuming. I believe that man's suit is more of a blue in color. As tempting as it is to paint, you will loose texture and detail. Although your background is an improvement, I think it would look better if the vignette in the background faded out better. Your 2nd attempt you have made it so dark that you do not see the definition in the sleeve and the shadows. I think that is why you did not like your first attempt, because of where his arm vs the rest of the suit. The question on the woman is a case of a fold in her sleeve and also a shadow showing on her arm.

I have enclosed a very down and dirty with plenty of damage showing, but gives you an idea of the jacket. It is very rough wip. Your version is warmer than mine, but still pleasing. However, the suit is not black.

The arm should round out a little more and the dark area needs not to be as large, but I quit at that point.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pic-dr

Hi Margie!

Thank you for all the assistance, I do appreciate it and do agree with you on all points. I think I'm just too anxious to get them done, (I've always hated deadlines *smile*) and consequently, am rushing the work. I need to slow it down and do it one solution at a time.

I'll keep working on it,

Larry

pic-dr

Hannie

Larry, you will find that zooming and cleaning up the spots won't take as much time as you would expect.
I did the top part of this example (left) and it only took a couple of minutes.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

pic-dr

Got it Hannie. I intend to work on repairing the texture and color of the jacket using the method you did. I will also fix the other few things you pointed out. I do appreciate your guidance, and I hope I won't have to bother everyone so much in the future.  :up:

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Larry,

The last tip was from Hannie. You are not a bother as that is what the Forum is here for and we wish more volunteers would post their work here for help.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pic-dr

Hi Margie!

I noticed that I responded to the wrong party at almost the same time I saw your post, and corrected that. The pic is still a WIP, but I think I'm making some headway with it. After I play with it some more today I'll re-post it for comments. And thanks to everyone who have offered their assistance, I'm getting a great education here--and don't even have to pay tuition!  :up:

Regards to all,
Larry

pic-dr

pic-dr

OK, folks, here's the latest WIP--Let me know what you think?

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Larry,

The suit color is much better, but now the problem is that you have thrown your color correction out the window. Take a look at your 2nd post and this one and you will notice this one looks a lot duller. The reason is that there is clipping in each of your channels. Also, take a close look at the edges of the man's sleeve. You do OK until you go up to the shoulder and then they break up and are not crisp. The suit looks better, but still looks painted without the texture showing in the original. Hannie's example was showing you how to clean up the damage and that in turn would give you an area that you could borrow for texture in other parts of the suit.

When you get your PS Elements, you will need to go online or to the library to get tutorials on how to use it. Yes, you are getting a great education and are not having to pay tuition, but there are also other sites on the Web to learn more about your software and techniques. It also pays to work your way up to hard restores as experience will be your best instructor.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Larry, one other thing that might make things clearer about the texture and not to have a painted look---although we have volunteers who can paint and have it look relistic---click on Hannie's example and it will enlarge the picture. Notice at the top how the suit has more texture and is not flat and one color like it is when you paint.

If it wasn't for the color correction being off, I would suggest that you add a little noise into the suit, but this is a band aid fix for the flatness of where it is painted. In PS I can go in a add noise at 35%, check Uniform Distribution and Monochromatic---this is all done on a duplicate layer. I then lowered the opacity of that  second layer to 16%. Because that will add noise to the whole photo, I would then have to do a layer mask and paint back in the jacket.

Before you try this, make sure that you can save your file with layers adjustment so that you can go back in  and tweak. I also did not know until recently that you can save a file as a .psd in Gimp which is how you will want to save as your work. If you keep saving the original over and over as a jpg, the quality will suffer.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jesterjeni

I do believe the mans suit has a pocket, it would be awesome if it could be worked into the final photo

Mhayes

Jesterjeni, Yes, it looks like one to me too.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pic-dr

Thanks to Jesterjenni and Margie for all the tips.

I never even saw that pocket (even though I should have, having worn enough suits myself) but in any case I drew it in. Couldn't clone it in, too much damage on it for that, though I did try several times.

I 'think' I've gotten the texture better, the lighting has also been corrected--on that last submission I forgot to tick the curves adjustment before saving...Speaking of saving, I'm using Photo Plus, not Gimp at this time, but I do save the original in it's original form, and each time I do save, I save it in SPP format, (Serif Photo Plus), but I think there's an option to save in Photoshop format.

BTW, I'm just learning how to work with layers, will graduate to masks when I fully understand how the different layers work. I know, I should know how to use masks, just haven't gotten to that point yet. Still learning as I go.

Let me know how I can make it better, and I'll continue working on it.

PS, Margie, do you really think I should tackle more complex work at this point--I'm having difficulty with this 'easy' pic. I know I'd learn a lot doing that, but wonder if I'm ready for more difficult stuff yet.

pic-dr

Mhayes

Hi Larry, this is looking better. The only problem is that the photo has a dull look because of the clipping in the highlights and shadows. I don't know if your program has a Levels Adjustment Layer? Or even a Curves Adjustment Layer as that would allow you to go back and change. I have taken your last photo and done a Levels Adjustment in all channels---each one had clipping. You probably cannot do channels, but if you can do an "auto" in either of these and let the software correct you should be OK.

No, I do not think you should take more complex work at this point. Stay with the easy ones and if there aren't any available, wait and more will be added. When you start off easy and work up, you will have a good foundation to know what tools to use on more complex photos. To start out with complex photos means flying blind and getting burnt out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]