• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Photo Scanner Opinions?

Started by Sonya K, October 06, 2006, 11:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonya K

If you could buy any photo scanner currently on the market, what would it be and why?
I'm in the market for a new one and I'm having a really tough time deciding what to get.
I know that I'd like it to do slides and negatives, as well as photos.

I'm pretty sure that there are a few of you out there that have some pretty strong opinions about hardware  :wnw: and I'd really like your opinions and suggestions before I make any purchases.

Thanks in advance!

Sonya
(aka - shopping Queen to my husband)

glennab

Hi Sonya

I just finished reading the latest MacWorld, and they give the Canon CanoScan 9950F a 4 and a half mouse rating, which is pretty high. They quote the cost at $399.  We have a Canon at work, an 8400, and it works fine, but we don't do much scanning any more, so can't make a strong statement about it one way or the other.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check out some of the web sites for magazines that review hardware. Another way to get info is to call PC Mall or CDW and find out what they recommend.  Most of their reps are very knowledgeable.  I've had excellent luck with PC Mall.  If you're an NAPP member, you can also get discounts from many of these vendors.

My experience and the information we've gleaned from research at work points to Epson products.  I know their printers are awesome and would assume their scanners are top-notch as well.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glenna, I'm glad you posted a reply. I was going to, but I don't do any high-end work with my scanner so I didn't feel qualified to give advice.

You really can't go wrong with Canon. Good, solid company with a name to protect so their products reflect that. I personally order most of my computer parts and supplies from www.newegg.com.

One of the best features of the site is being able to use the search functions on the left to find a list of exactly what you're looking for, then being able to sort the list according to the highest user rating. I always read all the reviews before I decide what product to buy.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny -- that's probably why we have a Canon scanner at work.  Our art director is a researcher -- he delves into everything full bore before he buys anything.  Something about the Canon must have grabbed him.

I'll tell you an interesting little aside.  8 years ago when I bought my first Mac and peripherals for home, I did a LOT of research myself, and for printers, most of the magazines recommended Epsons, but I believe it was Mac World that said a printer called an Alps 3000 was of higher quality and it printed white and metallic inks as well as the CMYK --  and of archive quality. So I got that one instead of the Epson after checking it out at CompUSA. I was impressed!

It was a fantastic printer, I had a ball with it.  But the manufacturer said to use ONLY Alps products.  Then I found out that the company was no longer going to make the printers or support them (I believe they specialize in other electronic parts) .  Meantime, I decided to print out some stickers I'd designed to give to my grandkids, and used something other than Alps paper.  The printer never worked after that, and I couldn't even find anyone who'd heard of Alps, much less be able to repair one of their printers.  It's in pieces up at my son's (he's a computer whiz like you)

I now have an Epson 1280 at home and we have two at work.  They're the best!  And I think Epson will be making and supporting their products for a LONG time!

Learning the hard way is expensive, and it BITES!

GG

(Have you ever heard of Alps?)

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I haven't heard of Alps, but a quick visit to Wikipedia led me to their website. They are still making printers. The printer is at your son's eh? I have an amazing collection of computer parts and peripherals gathered over the years. My favorite is my Commodore PET sitting out in my garage. Still works, but I don't have any software for it and Commodore 64 software is too modern for it  :funny:

But why is the rum gone?

Carol

Sonya,  This really depends on your budget.  I use a Microtek Scanmaker i900.  It is a flat bed scanner, but unlike most flatbed scanners, you can scan negs and transparencies without placing them on top of glass.  There are carriers provided which place the neg or transparency beneath the scan bed. 

I do a lot of photo restoration, so considered this the best I could afford without buying separate neg and flatbed scanners.

I have been using this scanner for about 12 months and cannot fault it (apart perhaps from the weight/size.  I often have to take it on location when doing demonstrations/lectures or expos).  It is probably more expensive than most consumer scanners, but for me, it has been worth every cent.  I have noticed it is about AU$500 cheaper now than when I purchased it.

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au