• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Thanks!

Started by pic-dr, January 16, 2012, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic-dr

First, let me offer thanks to everyone who offered advice! And thank you for your kind words to this relative amateur. I've never been able to afford Photoshop, so I taught myself using Gimp a couple of years ago.

Everyone asked which editing program I'm using--I 'graduated' from Gimp2 to Serif's Photo Plus X4 two weeks ago. I find little difference between the two really.

I did use the levels and curve adjustments, but as the original pic was very warm to begin with, I went extremely gently with them. A very tiny S curve. I also reduced the saturation a bit, as the original seemed to be way too warm. I guess I'll reduce it some more before changing the hues.

I think changing the color temp will be pretty easy, I'll go back and change the levels and curves to bring out the white some more, and tune the hue with the 'color'tools.

I had not noticed the damage on the mirror or painting (?) on the far right, but that will be no problem to fix using the clone tool.

I agree the skin of the lady on the left looks flat. I put most of my effort into trying to repair that, but was never really satisfied with the results. I'll probably try to use an airbrush with colors taken from the middle person to lend some texture to the lady's skin.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Warm regards to all,
Larry

Mhayes

Larry, the full version of PhotoShop is expensive and I started out with the student version while going to school and then was able to upgrade to the regular version. For what you are doing, PhotoShop Elements is not that expensive--$99 new and a lot of time you can get it free when you buy something like a new printer. I may have an old copy--not the latest version laying around for a PC. You can do a lot with PS Elements except the things like using channels and some other things. You could pick up one I would cheap on eBay.

On our photos, you do not look at the photo and say it was warm to begin with and I will only tweak it a little. For one, the warmth on these photos could be from the flood waters or in this case (doesn't have very often), the copy stands lights were too warm and the custom white balance was not done right. By using either the Levels Adjustment or Curves you can correct it. Deciding to use a tint might work on a few colors, but will change others you don't want.

If you use the airbrush I think it will still give it a smooth look at not fit in with the rest of her. Can you not borrow sections of skin and place on a layer and blend in?

Good Luck and I hope you have a chance to get PhotoShop Elements or even an older version of PhotoShot like CS or CS 2. The learning curve is steep, but the results are worth it. Plus, now there is many free tutorials online.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jesterjeni

I am also self taught....I do however have photoshop cs5 and a few other things in my arsenal. I don't know what kind of training people have had here but it is an very valuable place to learn while giving back to those who have suffered losses. This is a copy of my web site, I havent updated it for quite awhile. since I have joined opr, I have only gotten better! http://www.jlwagnercreaterepairandrestorephotos.com/ 
welcome aboard!!

pic-dr

Thanks to all who responded and offered suggestions!

I took the advice you were all kind enough to offer and posted the results--I hope the picture meets with your approval.

I am disabled and on a very tight budget, so Photoshop (even Elements) is out of my price range. I waited until Serif came out with Photo Plus X5 so I could get the previous version (X4) for around $20. I also don't have a tablet, I do all my work with a mouse--tiring, but I'm fairly used to it by now.

Thanks again,
Larry

Mhayes

Hi Larry, I know what's like to be on a tight budget. I would be willing to mail you a free copy of Adobe Photoshopes Elements 8 (good on a PC on Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows7). This is 2 versions previous the current PS Elements 10.

Send me an email at [email protected]
with your mailing address and I will mail it out to you.
I got this when I got a printer and have no use for it.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]