• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Jonas/Hirshey Image -- WIP Critique?

Started by jfharrison, January 15, 2012, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfharrison

So here I am on my second project.  I've been struggling a bit the the hair and ear.  ??? 

Here is where I am at the moment.  It's a small image to begin with, so I'm wondering what else I should work on.  Comments, suggestions, things I'm missing?

All help and guidance welcomed.  :)

---Jared

Mhayes

Hi Jared,

I think you have done a great job on this one. I would be tempted to add a layer and play with a brush that you could add a little bit of texture around some of the edges of his hair. I know when I blow the photo up it is pretty smooth on the contours, but that makes his head look like a cutout. Just a small amount will help and doesn't have to be all over. I know at the top that is ink that has lifted and not hair. The ear looks fine to me and maybe just a little more shading at the top inside the crease.

I like it!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

Hi Jared,

You have done a fantastic restore on this one.  A lot of serious damage and your restore with Margie's comments will really make the owner happy.

Mike
Mike S.

Hannie

Hi Jared,

What a beautiful restore!  You have done an amazing job on the honeycomb texture without losing any detail.

I like Margie's suggestions too.  I know you use Photoshop, did you ever use Image->Adjustments->Shadow/Highlights (dropdown menu)?  It is a great tool to bring back some detail in dark areas, you can use it on a duplicate layer and vary the opacity or use a layer mask for more control.

(I wish Adobe would make this tool part of layer adjustment palette so we can use it in a nondestructive way, really don't understand why they haven't)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jfharrison

Thank you all so much! 

I'm still working on building my Photoshop restoration skills -- so your clear and direct guidance on Photoshop tools & techniques is tremendously valuable!!!  :wnw:

---Jared