• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What do you think....can it go home?

Started by GP, October 06, 2006, 04:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

This was a really tough one, so much damage. The guy on the left with the child has almost no face left. I copied what's left on a separate layer and set it to multiply and repeat once or twice. This works to a point, but it also multiplies all the little white dots in the area too. I am not completely happy with the out come, but this is always the dilemma with this kind of old pictures. There is just not enough detail to work with.
GP

PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

glennab

Hi GP

Wow!  great job.  I'd tweak only one person.  The gentleman a little off-center and to our right, seated behind the little boy in the striped shirt looks rather ghostly.  And his features appear to me quite different from what I can make out in the original.  I know he had a ton of damage, and that may have made it difficult to pull out the detail, but I'd give him one more try.  Otherwise, I'd say applause is in order!  Have a wonderful day.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I only have one more suggestion to add. Most of the discoloration in the original is from time, not water damage. I would add a little sepia tone back. This will make it look warmer and more like the original.

I like to use the hue/saturation and set it to colorize, then set the hue to 35 and the saturation to around 10 or so. I noticed your image is in grayscale, so be sure to change it to RBG first.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

GP

Thank you GG and Kenny! This are great suggestions   :up:   and I will try that. Kenny you are absolutely right I forgot to set it back to RGB. I wanted to give it a sepia tone, but it did not work and I just did not remember that I used mostly the green channel :wow:. I knew it was a good idea to post it here and get some suggestions.
I have to go to work now and I won't be able to post during the day, but I always read all the postings. 8)

Gerlinde

Ausimax

Hi GP,

Good Work, you are a champion to take on such a difficult one, with so many faces that really contain so little detail that is easy to loose and so hard to reclaim.
I agree with what Kenny and glennab said, the only other thing I would mention is the girl third from the right (Your right), her face appears a little flat, perhaps a bit of shading up the middle of her nose and at eye level on either side to narrow it a bit, other than that a great job, well done!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

GP

OK, I'm back with 2 final versions  ::)
one is black&white, one is sepia. Personally I like the b/w better, it prints nicer too. But I guess I will submit both and let the "higher powers" decide.
And thank you all for the help and the kudos, I hope I addressed your suggestions.

Kenny, I saw the picture you are working on. I had put in a request for the same one. You did a nice job!

GP

Ausimax

Nice one! I like the b/w most but they are both good.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Sonya

A fine job! I'm with you. I prefer the B&W version as well, but so many people seem to like the sepia that you're wise to send both and let admin decide.

(I'm trying to type with a cat on the table right in front of the keyboard, so I'm going to be late for work since it's taking me so long to input this.  Heaven forbid that I move his furry butt somewhere else!)

Anyway, super restoration.  Have a wonderful day.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Very nice GP  :up:

The black and white looks much cleaner to me. As you've read, I prefer black and white to color anyway  ;D

Most people seem to like sepia tones, though, so that's how I do most of my black and white work.

Great job, send it home!  :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

klassylady25

Very good work.  Like Kenny, I prefer the black and white.  Sepia, however seems to be the way that most of these pictures end up through the aging process or otherwise.  Perhaps before you send it back, ask Dave or one of the administrators which direction you should take concerning the colors.  Have a sepia ready, just as you do the black and white to return to the owners.

Just a thought!!
   :)