• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Child Christening

Started by brian, January 14, 2012, 12:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Original   

WIP

Please take a look for anything that I missed.
Thanks in advance – Brian.

Pat

Brian you've done a marvelous job on this photo.  Isn't it wonderful to be able to restore a photo of such a precious moment in someone's life and return to them memories that otherwise might be lost forever.

I think maybe the original shows a bit more definition of the ear of the man in the black jacket on your right and wonder if you could bring some of that back into your restore.  Also, I wonder if the lady standing next to him could use a little color clean up on her face?

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hi Brian,

You sure picked a doozy, you have done great repair work!

A few pointers:  I believe the christening gown to be white and the background to be more of a white/cream color.  Some of the little pink flowers in the hair of the lady on the right have disappeared.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

:cool: Amazing work, Brian. Color correction on these pictures is a real challenge. I agree with Hannie on all her points, but I'd like to see a little more detail and less glare in the dress when you take more time with it. Also, you did a fabulous job on eliminating that nasty brown stain top right, but I can still see just a faint line at the very edge. Hannie's color correction practically eliminates it, but go through and check before you're done. The Patch tool will get rid of what's left.

Great job—and so fast!

Bambi

Tori803

I did a restore some time back which required some white on white work:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=609

As I recall, the methods I used to restore the detail in the white included stamping the repaired image onto another layer (Windows: CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E), setting the blending mode of that layer to Darker Color, and masking out the area that didn't need the boost. The last step was to paint shadows on another layer above and to set the blending mode to Soft Light.

You might be able to simply do another Curves layer for the christening gown and mask out (on the Curves mask) everything but the gown.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

brian

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the great tips. I am working away at it , here in the frozen
North. We have a temp of -30C  but with a thing we call "wind chill" it feel on exposed skin
like (-44C)  :cool:
Brian

Hannie

I will never complain about cold weather again!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

brian

Here is my latest attempt, including my OPR friends' suggetions.  :)

Brian

Bambi

Much improved, Brian. You've put a lot of work into this. I just see a couple of little things. The walls are much better, but are a bit splotchy at top left and a little rough on the edges of the column. Should be easy to smooth the texture.

I didn't see it before, but it looks like there's still some staining on the priest's sleeve.

Such a lovely picture now that it's so painstakingly restored.

Bambi