• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A few questions...

Started by jfharrison, January 07, 2012, 08:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfharrison

Hi Folks,

I've got  a few questions related to this particular restoration job..

1)  As I understand the OPR's "Prime Directive" we are to attempt to restore a photo to it's original appearance -- NOT to enhance it.

So, based on my assessment of the original photo, this young fellow had a number of dark spots on his face when this photo was taken.  This wouldn't be unusual for a teenager.  Should I have cleaned-up his complexion with I cleaned-up the damage to the photograph?

2)  The original photo obviously had some texture in the original image.  Should I submit the restoration without texture or attempt to recreate some texture in the restored image?

3)  Any comments, concerns or  recommendations regarding this restoration?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Best regards,

---Jared Harrison

Original:

Retouched:

Retouched with Texture:

jesterjeni

I think the one with texture is absolutely beautiful!!

Mhayes

Hi Jared,

I agree about restoring a photo to its original appearance, but there are exceptions and I think this would be one of them. I think your are right about the teens complexion and know he would appreciate the retouching. If this had been a mole, then I would have said no.

While you added texture that gives the appearance of looking like a matte or canvas finish---I wouldn't recommend it here. One reason is that I'm not sure you want it if it is printed with matte finish. If you want you can submit both, but I'm betting QC will not want a texture on the photo.

Once small pic and that is there is still damage showing on your left side of the boy's shoulder. It is a white spot that looks like water damage.

Other than that, very nice work.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Beautiful repair job Jared!

What if instead of removing the blemishes on the boy's face, you make them a little less apparent?

I also wonder if the right side background should be a little lighter and the left side a little darker?
In my example I may have overdone it it!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jfharrison

Margie & Hannie,

Thanks for the feedback.  Much appreciated.  After starring at this photo for so many hours it was easy to miss the left-side water damage that appears so obvious on the Forum post.  Oh, well... I agree that the texture is probably a bad idea.  I think I may submit one with no facial spots and one with toned-down facial spots ala Hannie's suggestion. 

Hannie - Just curious about your approach to lightening the spot on his face...  Did you duplicate the layer, lighten it to tone down the spots and then use a layer mask to brush-in the repairs?  Or something else?  Always open to learning new/better techniques.

Thanks!

---Jared

Hannie

Jared, I duplicated the layer.  Then I used the healing brush to get rid of the blemishes and played with the layer opacity to bring back the spots a little.

Instead of duplicating the layer you can also use just a new (blank) layer.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Candice