• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Looking for suggestions

Started by corpusdei, January 02, 2012, 08:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corpusdei

Hi all.  I've been working on my first restoration and I'd like to get some feedback on it.  I've done some photoshop work before, but this is my first out-and-out restoration effort so please feel free to let me know what works, what doesn't, and what I might want to do to get this to the finish line. 
Orig:

WIP:

I'm not real happy with the face on the left, it seems very splotchy to me.  I've tried to even it out but I'm not having a lot of success.  Any advice on that or anything I'm missing?
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity."

Mhayes

Hi Simon,

Since this is your test photo, I can't post one, but I think you are doing a great job. You are right about the gal on your left. I would use your patch tool if using PhotoShop and drag the bad part over to the good. You could also blur a little on her face, but not enough to be noticeable.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Simon,

You have come a long way with your restore, nice colors and repairs! 
What I would do next is zoom in to the left part of the lady's face, till it almost fills your screen and start cleaning up a little more. 
I'm not sure if Gimp has a healing brush, if not you can use good patches from the other side of her face, like Margie already suggested.

After you have have finished getting rid of the uneven spots you could take a good look at the other ladies, how the shading looks on these faces.  Try and copy some of that shading to the lady on the left.

I don't remember if Gimp has Overlay Layer mode.  If it does you can add shading (and highlights) using a layer set to Overlay mode.  Fill it with 50% gray and with a soft black or white brush (low opacity) add some shading where needed.
Once you are happy with the result you can give that Overlay layer a small Gaussian blur to even it out some.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]