• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Please take a look.

Started by brian, December 09, 2011, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Original

Restore

Hi Folks,

I would appreciate a new pair of eyes to care a look at this attractive couple.
I used layer masks to do color corrections on different parts of the photo.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Cheers. Brian

happyheart

Brian,
Your color correction looks very good.  :up: I'm seeing a few areas that are missing color.  I think you probably just need to look at your masks a little closer.  The shirt around the tie edges has a small gray outline in a couple of areas.  There is also a very thin gray line on the man's neck, next to the collar and tie area. The stairway finial behind the woman has a few areas where color is missing.  The stair railing color is bleeding onto the wall along the top left.  The man's jacket looks uneven in coloration, especially around the areas where the damage was.
I have found that when I get ready to put the color back into the photo, it sometimes helps to make selections of the areas I want to color back in.  It is especially helpful around areas that need straight edges.  By using a selection, it prevents the color I'm applying from getting into areas where I don't want it.  It also helps to take your photo up to a really high magnification, like 300% when you're trying to fine tune it like this.  It makes it much easier to see the areas that need work.

You've done a really good job so far.  It just needs some tiny corrections.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

Pat

Brian you've done a very good job so far!  Happyheart, that's an excellent suggestion to make selections of the areas you want to color back in.  Thanks for sharing it.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

happyheart

I have always found it frustrating when I needed a nice clean edge between colors.  I just decided to try making a selection one day, and it was SOOOO much easier!  The selection edge limits the area where you can work, and effectively keeps the color from going where you don't want it.  It works well with any of the 'paint' tools, brush, clone, etc.  It sometimes helps when you're using the healing tools also.  Glad I could help.
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

Pat

While I have used selections when putting back color before, it never occurred to me to try it with the healing tools.  I'll definitely keep that in mind for future restores!  Thanks, Happyheart.

Pat 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author