• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Where is Everybody?

Started by Ausimax, October 04, 2006, 08:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Where is everybody? I seem to be the only one posting work, I know most of you don't need help with your restorations but it is good to see other peoples work and I think there are quite a few members waiting to get started and it provides something for them to observe and the opportunity to ask about methods, etc.

Besides I am starting to feel lonely. :-\

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

I've been pretty busy the last few days. I performed a wedding this weekend, and I spent all day at the doctor's office yesterday. I have to go back again today, but after that hopefully I'll be able to relax and get some work done here.

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

I'm still here!  You'll probably be seeing a bit less of me in the next month or so though, as we are getting close to finally being able to move into our new house.  I'm trying to finish up my 2 remaining pictures before the chaos hits.

I'll also be at a photography/Photoshop class next week in West Yellowstone.  This is going to be a great and very intense class.  For those who are interested, this is the website: http://www.digitallandscape.org/

Christine

Dave

While people aren't posting, they are checking in. I log on several times throughout the day. One of the first things I look at is to see who else is on the board. I mostly see the usual crowd, but I do see a lot of the silent ones as well.

Things will pick up sooner or later. We're in the grunt work phase and the work just isn't as exciting as it was at the beginning.

I want to write more at this moment. I want to give a rally cry that will spur everyone on to greatness, but I can't find the right words. I'll try again later.

For now I'll leave you with this: The measure of our efforts will be judged by the strength of our committment.

It's  something I need to remind myself of everyday.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I know everybody is hard at it, you can tell by how the images to be done are decreasing, just wanted to try and generate a little more activity on the forums.

Me and my big mouth, now if I don't contribute to every topic I'm going to look like a right Twit. :P

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

cmpentecost

As I think about it, the only pictures recently available were the really hard ones, and I'm finding those take a really long time, so that might have a bit to do with the slow activity.  I feel like I'm progressing well on my difficult photo, but time has been an issue lately, so that plays a role as well.  I'm hoping that when new pictures are released, we get more activity.

Christine

Dave

Hang in there guys. I know the work is hard, but just keep thinking about what the end result will mean to the people who own these photos. Besides, more help is on the way. I'm up early this morning processing around 20 new volunteers.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Sonya K

I am here too.  Just really busy working on my photo, like everyone else.
I am finding that the harder ones are a really big challenge.
I have started mine over and over, several times, out of frustration, because I want it to look right.
Feel free to contact me on MSN or Yahoo Messenger if you're feeling lonely.....  :)  I'm usually logged in while I'm on my computer and I'm always willing to chat.

Sonya

glennab

Hi!

I'm one of those nuts who choose to attack some of the more challenging of the difficults.  That's where I am right now.  I have two super toughies that are testing all my abilities and then some. So I come home from work, chill for an hour or so, and then head for the computer and work way past my bed time.

I have to say, Dave, that the restorations are just as interesting and exciting as they first were for me.  They've exercised my brain and given me much to think about.  I have to admit that I've totally lost any arrogance I had about my restoration abilities, but I'm learning so much that I just thrive on working on these images.  I also find that I become very attached to the people in the  photos.

I suspect that many of the volunteers are facing the same daunting work that I am and are hunkered down trying their darndest to get the restorations completed in as timely a manner as possible.  I know I definitely underestimated how long it would take to be satisfied with my restorations.  I gather that there are others dealing with the same frustration.

That said, I do try to get onto the forum as often as possible to offer what (meager, I've discoveed!) expertise I have and to understand what everyone else is up against and  how they're dealing with the different issues the photos present.  It's a most wonderful learning and sharing experience.  I love it!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi,

Good to hear from so many busy people, and glad to hear of so many new members signing on, these difficult photos are defiantly a challenge and a source of considerable frustration, on some of them you make so many restarts trying to find a method that works, and it is not unusual for me to end up with over a Gig of saves files from one image.

I am probably fortunate in that I have a fair amount of time available to devote to restoration, being retired,  and as we have been in drought for about five years, the garden is almost non-existent and doesn't require much time at present besides it is already about 35 deg Celsius ( about 95 deg F) during the day, and that is fairly conducive to staying inside and keeping cool - wait till summer gets here.

At present I am waiting on some new photos, I don't think I order them early enough, but when I get a batch I think it will take more time to deal with them than it usually does, then I may spend 6-8 hours a day on them and get through them.

I started on "difficult", as like many others, they were all that was available at the time, that raises the question, will we be able to go back and tackle "easy" or " moderate" when they are available again?

I have a sneaky feeling that the challenge presented to us by what we have done will condemn us to the dark world of the "difficult", what are your views on this.

Anyway enough from me for now, happy pixel-ling.

Max

Kenny

Max, I think when we start geting moderate ones again you'll laugh at how "easy" they are to do  :funny:

But why is the rum gone?