• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My Latest Project

Started by Ausimax, October 04, 2006, 07:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

My latest restoration, give me your thoughts please.

Max 

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hey Max -- Super job.  You've got that cloning down to a science.  My one small pick would be at the bottom of the tree on our right, it appears that you missed a small piece of damage, and the trunk of the tree looks as if it's sliced (there's a dark area crossing the trunk.) Otherwise I'd say it's a go.

I saw your other post asking where everyone is.  I'll answer for myself, anyway.  I'm working on two of the most difficult restorations you can imagine.  I've asked for suggestions on my army guy and his lady and got one response (other than plenty of help with his ribbons!). I had to walk away from that and start on my next one.

That one will take me a while, too.  Since I work full-time, care for 12 cats and a husband and am setting up a new computer system, I'm doing my restorations late at night - way past my bed time, and they're really baffling me.  I can't think of any shortcuts, so I'm plodding away at extremely complex images. I chose the tough ones, because I wanted the challenge -- and boy! did I get that.  Both are full of detail -- plants, flowers, furniture as well as 2 and 3 people whose faces are covered with mold(?). Getting the faces right is my dilemma right now. Promise I'll post them as soon as there's something worthwhile to look at.

Have a wonderful day!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Wow!  :wnw:

Looks fantastic, Max! You really did a great job on this one. The only thing I see is the tree. At first glance it looks like it's broken. A quick clone of the trunk over that spot and this one is ready!  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Glenna,

Thanks for your comments,The dark area on the trunk is a branch crossing in front of it, almost obscured by damage in the original. I could clone it out but it doesn't look to bad at full resolution.

I saw your post on the army chap, couldn't give you any help with the ribbons,and as for the rest of the image - well you said you pick the hard ones, I could not think of any advice that would be of help, I have been avoiding those ones that seem almost totally obscured a bit beyond my ability I feel.

I know you have been tied up with that one, and Kenny has had one in lately - there just don't seem to have been many others posting their work though I know they are out there beavering away, its just nice to see what other people are doing, even if it does make my work look crappy.

Kenny, thanks for your response, see above re: tree

I had better head off now, way beyond my bedtime, have a good day.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Dave

Max,

Nice work. See my reply in your other post about where everybody is.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Max - I definitely agree that it's good to see what other people are doing with their restorations.

I check the forum every day at lunchtime at work (my lunch buddies aren't very happy with me right now), and several other times a day, usually before and after work.  There's so much to learn from the other volunteers, and I love it if I feel I can contribute to another volunteer's efforts.

But I'm going to have to fly to Australia and pound on you if you don't stop denigrating YOUR work.  You are so caring about what you're doing, and I think your restorations have been fantastic.

Hang in there.  You're a rock – and you rock!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your comments and praise.

I hope my work has been up to standard, I worry that by taking some of these that I may be keeping them from being better restored by a more experienced member.

It is a great responsibility and honour to work on these images, you see the quality of some of these original images, and it hurts when you realise that these are probably the only ones they had that could be salvaged, so you want to return the best result you can.

Thanks again,

Max

OPRAng

You are doing a fantastic job! We can't take Katrina away, but we can give them a little bit of their past back...

Look at these two people--how thrilled they will be to have this displayed in their home and get to tell the story over and over again. Besides a couple that would do this at whatever age it is that they are, has got to be cool!

Thank you for all you do. Keep posting--I love seeing the photos in progress.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Max,

You've done a really nice job on this photo, and all the photos you have done.  It's easy to second guess yourself, but I think based on the many positive critiques you've received, you are well on your way to a restoration artist.  This restoration looks great, and I'd go ahead and submit it. I've been restoring photos for a number of years now, and I am STILL learning. 

Christine

Carol

Hi Max,

I congratulate you on tackling some of the more difficult images when restoration is relatively new to you.  Challenges like these are a great way to practice and develop your skills.  You have come a long way with your restorations in the past few months  You should be proud of what you have done.

I'm one of those slack ones who has never posted images on this forum, but I do regularly look to see what others are doing and like to help out if I can.  unfortunately it is just hard to find the spare time at the moment.

Keep up the great work.

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au

Ausimax

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your comments, it certainly makes you learn a lot faster than if you are just playing around with your own photos.

You are not slack for not posting images, I do it most times because I require advice, or an unbiased view of what I have done, its amazing the little things others pick up that I have missed.

I like to see what others have done, it is a bit of a yardstick to judge your efforts against.

Regards,

Max

klassylady25

Ausie,

I think working on something other than "make-believe" validates what we do. AND those of us that are learning and working hard to perfect the skills we read and see..... well coming here makes it all the better.  I love to read what's happening, even though I don't always write.  I also traverse a site called Retouch Pro.  There are some great people there too.  This is family and we all share the love of restoration.   

:loveit: