• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Big Changes on Upgrades from Adobe

Started by Mhayes, November 18, 2011, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I don't know how many of you are aware of the big changes involving upgrades from Adobe. It used to be that if you wanted to upgrade to the newest version of PhotoShop you could do it within the last three versions. Example: If you currently had PhotoShop CS2, you could upgrade to CS5. That is all about to change starting in 2012 when Adobe will ship out CS6. If you want to upgrade to CS6, you must have CS 5 or you will to buy the complete software instead of an upgrade.

For you NAPP members, I would suggest going to the Forum>General Photoshop>Adobe to offer CS6 Upgrade for CS5 Version Only. With 14 pages of discussions, you get an idea of what is coming down the pike. More about the changes: http://prodesigntools.com/last-chance-to-upgrade-adobe-cs2-cs3-cs4-to-cs5.html

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, thanks for the heads-up.  That's a huge change from their previous policy.  I think I'll be doing some reading in the next few days.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, go to the NAPP forum and you will get a real wake up call. Members are not happy about this and also do not like subscribing for the alternate to buying software by paying $50/month (for the Cloud with everything) to have the service over the Internet. Your Internet goes down---your out of business until it comes up.

CS5 may be my final PhotoShop version. I know the bottom line is money, but right now upgrading every year sounds like an expensive option. As far as a lease every month---no way.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I sure can't afford upgrading every time a new version comes out and if I don't I have the buy a full version after a couple of years? 

The greed of this company (like so many other companies) may backfire on them. 
I know people that are going back to Paintshop Pro already.
(not to mention all those that will decide to download an illegal version of Photoshop)

I'm going to have a look at Gimp, it's free and it may be worth the hassle!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Good day everyone,

It really boils down to will new versions have any value over prior or is it just a way for Adobe to make money.   Adobe must provide value to their customers or the scheme will fail.  They must keep in mind what happened to Netflix and Bank of America. There must be a compelling reason to upgrade or customers will stick with what they have or move to the other free programs (as mentioned by Hannie) available like Picasa, Gimp etc.   One possibility is to explore a volume license agreement.

Mike
Mike S.

PatW

I've been following this new development since it first came up on the NAPP forums & have to say that I've become terribly disillusioned with Adobe.:mad:   It's a good thing I'm happy with CS5, because it's looking like we'll be spending a lot of years together. 

I guess there's the faint hope that Adobe will get so slammed in the social media & various forums that they'll back down, but that probably isn't very realistic. Netflix was thoroughly vilified and lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers, but still hasn't backed off from it's corporate money grab.  Sigh....why can't the big guys just play nice?

Mhayes

They say ignorance is bliss, because there is another factor that was brought up on the NAPP forum. Let's say that CS5 is going to last you for some time and it is a great program and you are happy to say no to Adobe. Fast forward a couple or more years and your computer bites the dust and you need to buy a new and upgraded operating program---big surprise when going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Unfortunately your new operating system will not run PhotoShop CS5 as happened to me with PhotoShop CS3 and Illustrator CS2. Sorry, but you might have to buy a new version of Photoshop and not an upgrade. This will be one of those GOTCHA moments.

I see in my future using chalk on some cave walls.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

TerryB

Unfortunately, Gordon Gekko's business philosophy appears to be alive and well 24 years later.

Occupy Adobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8y6DJAeolo&feature=related

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

glennab

Wowser, I don't like the sound of this. I think greed is going to bite Adobe in the butt.  I don't know any millionaire Photoshop users.  I'm definitely not one.  And Margie, you've offered a very likely situation.  I'm sitting here with a 5-year-old Mac that's getting very cranky.  If I am somehow able to replace her when she gives up the ghost and I have to upgrade to an OS that's not compatible with CS5, I'm done.  If I had to purchase a new computer and new software, I wouldn't be able to do it.  Fortunately I was still working when I bought CS5, and I would be happy to use that for the rest of my restoration career.  I'll have to hope that my techie son will be able to keep my Mac going for as long as I'm still able to pound the keyboard - which I'm hoping and expecting to be a good long time yet. I foresee a lot of boycotting in the future - but some things, like OPR, are too important to not keep going.  Perhaps many people will be forced to just upgrade Photoshop and not the Suite.  I like having all the Adobe software, but I don't have to have it.  I was hoping to learn to create web sites, but I know that there is other software out there, and that may be where people go.  Sad.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Terry, I had to smile at your 2nd sentence.

NAPP (National Association Of Photoshop Professionals) has been having a lively discussion about what is going on. What started as a post by bonnieg1 on "Adobe to Offer CS6 Upgrade Discount for CS% Version Only"has gotten 185 replies and 4,111 hits since Nov 10.

I'm going to let you go to a video--Episode 32 of The Grid--where Scott Kilby answers some questions. Try to get through the ad and the giggling at the first. Then for the icing on the cake go to this link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Adobe-Reports-Third-Quarter-bw-2372560166.html?x=0&.v=1

GK, I posted at the same time you did. Have you gone to the NAPP forum, if not, you should.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

TerryB

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Mhayes

Thanks Terry. That was a great letter by Scott Kelby and I think he realized by siding with Adobe and not coming to the members defense that NAPP as well as Adobe was going to have a backlash and boycott. Sure Adobe is too big and a monopoly at this time, but things change.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

It's a bit comforting to know that some of our volunteers working with Photoshop CS have computers that are still running. I have CS4 on my desktop, but my desktop has needed a new DVD-ROM drive and a new video card and who knows what's next to go. I have CS5 on my laptop, but wouldn't be able to 'fix' any hardware problems on my own. So Adobe's plans are definitely not good news. If I have to upgrade Photoshop each year I won't be able to upgrade other Adobe products.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

I thought Scott Kelby's letter to Adobe was spot on.  I'm glad he responded as president of NAPP and represented all of us who are in the trenches.  What he said was well thought out and very reasonable.  I hope Adobe pays attention. Greed is NOT good.  For any of us.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Bambi

Scott Kelby's letter was good. If members don't buy the upgrades, his business is most likely to suffer, too. We all share an interest in fair pricing.

Bambi