• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Where's the color?

Started by Bambi, November 17, 2011, 05:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

I just can't decide which way to go with this photo. The color correction is unsatisfying, to say the least. Here are some options I've tried. I'd love to hear your comments.

ORIGINAL

LEVELS AUTO

LEVELS (USING DRIVEWAY AS WHITE)

LEVELS (USING SHIRT AS WHITE)

SAME AS ABOVE IN BLACK AND WHITE WITH CONTRAST

At this point, I'm tempted to work with the black and white. Possibly add color later.

Bambi

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Bambi, I ran the photo through Kodaks digital roc and got a different result again. Not sure if you have that colour correction plugin?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Pat

Hi Bambi, Tess,

This is the result I got when I used OPR member JB's action, without any further tweaking, which can be found at the following forum link:  http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2992.msg27433.html#msg27433  This action generally works quite well, but in this particular case, I like your results better Tess.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

This photo is one of two that because of age, color correcting will be difficult. Pat and Tess,  your version is an improvement, but seems to have a greenish cast? I probably for color like Bambi's where  she has used the shirt for white. I would vote for the B/W and what I might suggest is to do one of color and one B/W to upload.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Bambi

I got a slightly different color cast - I like the blues better here - by sampling in curves.  I used the lightest area of the woman's shoe (the toe) for the highlight, the car's wheel for the midtone/gray/ and the darkest area in the shrubs in the background to get the shadows.  I think you could use color balance or selective color to perhaps tweak a little more, but not much more.  I found that the most I could coax was more green than I wanted.  But it's late, and the old eyes are getting tired.

GK

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

It doesn't look like the color can be fully restored, especially the skin tones. So doing both a color and a BW would be a good back up plan.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

After you have done levels and curves there is little or no magenta in the reds leaving the skintones looking very pale.  You can try and add some magenta in the reds in a Selective Color adjustment layer.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Not too shabby, Ms. Hun.  I like the extra magenta.  I wasn't courageous enough to bump it up that much, but it does improve the photo. Now how does one tone down the texture, if that's what it be called?  That's what made me so timid. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna, I didn't use a hide all layer mask when I increased the magenta in the reds.  It should have only been applied to the skintones.

For the damage in the background, cars and drive way I would try a Dust & Scratch filter.  The couple I would zoom in 300% and  clean up by hand.  Same for the wheel and any other detailed part of the photo.

For me the hardest part would be to fix the car, what the backlight would look like and what model car etc.
I am so not into cars, wouldn't have a clue!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Hannie, that's precisely why I selected this photo. My in-house automotive forensics expert found ample reference that this is a 1964 Pontiac GTO, midnight blue. Probably new and very special. I'll be posting a work in progress in the next few days. It's been fun two work on. Thanks for helping me get my bearings on the color.

Bambi

Here's the current work in progress. Please look it over and let me know what you think.

Bambi

Theresa H

I think you've done an awesome job! :up: Very nice clean up on the car! You all make me feel very humble to be apart of your group! Every time I come to this site I get teary eyed.
Character is what you are, reputation is what other people think you are

hughlettstudio

Hey Bambi,
You've done a nice job with the clean up and color restoration. One thing that stands out to me is the back bumper. I would bring back some of that highlight to make it look more like chrome. And you lost a few of those specular highlights that are reflections from the car behind it.
Hope this helps!

Phil

Bambi

Good eye, Phil. I did lose the highlight on the bumper. Thanks for spotting that.

Bambi

Bambi

Much better with the highlights restored. thanks again, Phil.

Bambi