• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Earthquake in Kansas

Started by Mhayes, November 06, 2011, 01:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Just now experienced an earthquakedown that had its center in Oklahoma (close to Oklahoma City) in the town of Sparks about 11 pm---5.6 magnitude that lasted for 53 seconds. This is the first time that I have ever experience one in Kansas. It was really spooky, because this isn't common here. Everything started shaking and while they were forecasting high winds, and I thought Wow, and then found out what it really was. Yes, I know I'm a real sissy and this was nothing. It was funny though, before I took the dog out about 10 min before, she was was having a fit and wouldn't settle down.

Hope all our volunteers in Oklahoma didn't suffer any damage?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Very scary Margie! 
Perhaps you should have listened to Holly and look for shelter....

Hope everyone in Oklahoma is fine and no one got hurt!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

We had one in NE Ala. a few years ago. Scared the poopoo outta me. :wow:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tori803

I saw the report on the news this morning and thought, 'That's unusual.' We have relatives in Oklahoma City - I'm anxious to hear their stories.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Holy smoke!  Candy lives in Oklahoma City.  So does Sid Armstrong, one of our FB artist friends. Margie, that's no sissy shake.  No wonder your pup was going crazy.  I hope our Oklahomans are all okay. I'd better turn on the news. 

When the D.C. earthquake hit, one of my cats went nuts (in central Florida!) about 15 minutes before it hit.  We couldn't figure out what was wrong with him until we heard about the quake.  He sensed it all the way down here.  A few minutes afterward, he was fine.

Bless all.  Be well.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

GK, I think this was more of a startling event than a catastrophic one. I see Candy signed in today so I know she is not under any rubble---right Candice?  :cool:

Here is an interesting article in the Los Angels Times/Nation  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/oklahoma-quake-damage-assess.html

I thought it interesting that the USGS web page crashed as so many people were logging in to show their location for feeling the quake. I had gone there and reported, but it was still up around 11--11:30 pm Central Time.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Yikes. A 5.6 quake is pretty bad. And the aftershocks drive you crazy. Californians get used to it, but it must be even scarier in Kansas where you don't expect it—and they don't have the same building codes. What a shock.

Bambi

glennab

CNN showed an Oklahome home with a chimney that had fallen through the roof and with glass broken everywhere.  That's pretty substantial damage. I'm praying for everyone who's dealing with destruction in their homes, and hoping no one was hurt.  I think our poor nation has been through enough already.  We could use a break!

Hugs, all

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)